Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Ott Lights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-ott-lights-t258723.html)

HouseDragon 12-25-2014 02:25 PM

I love my Ott floor stand light: it has the light on the swivel-every-which way-neck, the clip board on a goose-neck, and the magnifier on a goose-neck. I managed to buy it at half-price when a free postage deal was going on. Otherwise, I couldn't have afforded it: I waited almost a year until the half-price/free postage were at the same time. That's also how I bought my wheeled sewing machine luggage piece.

DANGER: all magnifiers should be covered. They can start a fire if the sun hits it just right and shines through the lens. I have a small cloth bag that fits over the Ott magnifier; the rest of my magnifiers are put away in boxes.

Daffy Daphne 12-25-2014 02:59 PM

I love my Ott lights. Have both a table and floor model. They both still have the original bulbs. The table model is at least 15 years old and I bought a replacement bulb, just to have on hand, when I saw them at Office Depot. Wouldn't you know, I put that bulb in a "safe" place and now have no idea where it is. Hope I find it before I need it!

Daffy

dflynn 12-25-2014 04:10 PM

I got mine at Lowe. I believe the everyday price is $59.00, Same floor lamp as Joanne's. This is cheaper than when Joanne's has it an sale

Learner747 12-25-2014 04:35 PM

Go to Lowes online and enter Ott lamps. My stand up Ott lamp was only $49.95. At JoAnns it was selling for over a $100. Love it and kept $50.

Jan in VA 12-25-2014 04:46 PM

I bought my $209 Ott floor lamp replacement at Joannes after thanksgiving for $89 on sale. Wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

psychonurse 12-26-2014 01:04 AM

I have the floor and desk models Ott lamps. Probably have had them 10 yrs, bulb has not burned out. I love them, you don't get the glare that other lights give off. A good investment,IMO.

Edie 12-26-2014 03:23 AM

I have had two Ott lights, one being the least expensive - which is all well and good, except when the light goes out and they DO go out, it cost more than I paid for the light itself. Then I got my mother's and she has the fancy table light and her bulb went out and I cannot afford a light bulb for it, and also they are hard to find the right size Ottlight bulb for the Ottlight lamp. I bought a gooseneck from Menard's and I am very pleased with it - paid $9.95 for it and use a regular lightbulb. Edie

I just can't see spending that kind of money on a table lamp.

bneuen 12-26-2014 03:28 AM

I have a couple Ott lights. Wouldn't sew without them. If you use coupons from Joanne Fabric, that helps the price. But I think the price is worth it.

Hartllk 12-26-2014 04:37 AM

JoAnn quite often has Ott lamps at 50% off. I would hold out for that sale. You won't have to wait long!

eparys 12-26-2014 04:40 AM

I have a floor Ott lamp and I have a knock off table lamp from Big Lots. I love both and use them all the time. I too bought my Ott Lamp at Joanns with a coupon but recently my DH found the table lamp on sale at Big Lots for a fraction of the cost of a true Ott lamp. Works perfectly and is the same color temp of the real one. Unless you crave one of the designer look Ott Lamps - look at the knock offs. IAnother place to look is Amazon - search on full spectrum lighting. There are loads of options that are not as pricey as Ott.