Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Ott Lights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-ott-lights-t258723.html)

paoberle 12-26-2014 04:49 AM

I have a small table size Ott lamp. I love it. JoAnn's put them on sale at 50% off periodically, especially this time of year.

Geri B 12-26-2014 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Casi (Post 7021102)
Thanks Peckish, that is encouraging cause I don't want to spend that kind of money but I really need a lamp!

I found an " ott light" at an office supply chain store at a much lesser price........and one at goodwill for $ 5.00!!!!

NJ Quilter 12-26-2014 05:01 AM

I don't have any Ott lights. The lighting I like best, particularly for hand work, is a halogen bulb. Gives a great, true, bright light. I have an adjustable one on the table next to the chair where I do hand work in the living room and another in my sewing room for times when I need extra lighting. I can move it around where I need it then. The one in the LR is more of a 'decorator' style table lamp and the one I use in the sewing room is still 'decorator' type but a bit more utilitarian looking. Keep in mind, that incandescent bulbs are going the way of the dodo in favor of LED bulbs. Incandescents are no longer being manufactured.

ManiacQuilter2 12-26-2014 05:06 AM

I would be patient and wait until they are 50% off which seems to me to be very frequently.

tkee 12-26-2014 05:23 AM

I also have a Big Lots knockoff I'm very happy with. And they have replacement bulbs.

sept97 12-26-2014 05:34 AM

just get a lamp and put an LED bulb in it

Morag 12-26-2014 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Casi (Post 7021095)
I was going to buy myself an Ott light for Christmas today, but I didn't realize how expensive they are! I had a cheapie floor lamp from Wally World and I trashed it so now I have no good light for hand crafting in the living room. I have an Ott on my sewing machine table so I wanted to get a floor model. They have 25% off at JoAnn's today. Any suggestions as to which one I need? Better place to buy one?

Go to Big Lots ...They have a floor lamp and a desk lamp just like an ott lamp. The floor lamp is about $30 and the desk lamp is about $23. I have a floor model Ott lamp too but the ones from Big Lots are just the same bulbs and all!!!.

toverly 12-26-2014 06:02 AM

I love my ott lights but after two years I have two that have bad switches. One is a floor lamp and the other is a table lamp for the sewing room. After purchasing extra bulbs to see if it was the bulb. Nope. I wish they had a parts order on their website like other reputable companies.

kaelynangelfoot 12-26-2014 06:09 AM

Love Ott lights, just got one as a present! I have never had an issue with them and you can often get them 50% off at Joanns. I've never paid "full retail" for one. And the Ott website sells replacement bulbs.

hairquilt 12-26-2014 06:19 AM

I was gifted the floor & desk model after I made a quilt for my sister. Love them but they put out a lot of heat by my chair! Just this weekend bought a little Ott led clip on light at JA for $10 & it is just what I needed! Love it!!