Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question...I may have hit the jackpot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-i-may-have-hit-jackpot-t145088.html)

JanieH 08-15-2011 10:00 AM

I agree with the plan to take it all, make a memory quilt for him, and donate what you don't need/want to quilt organizations. What a wonderful gift for everyone!

Have fun! (and wish I was there!)

rslindiana 08-15-2011 10:25 AM

I would take it all and donate/give away for him if you can't use it or don't want it. If he's giving it to you for free its because he doesn't want to deal with it.

Quick way to tell if fabric is 100% cotton vs cotton/poly is to get a bowl of water (for safety) a match and a little square of the fabric. Burn the fabric edge. Dip in water. Feel the burnt edge. If its flakey and ashy its cotton. If it has a ridge or crisp edge its got poly in it. Hope that helps. I've sorted through several boxes of fabric this way when I inherited them from older family members.

emsgranny 08-15-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
Would he enjoy having a quilt made from some of it, in memory of his wife and mother? I think I'd do that as a "thank you".

This is a great idea!!!! Also you may offer to take all of it and let him know you will be donating the rest. (taking a burden off of him) He may need the tax write off though so you may need to get him a receipt (he could get those at salvation army or goodwill)

nena 08-15-2011 11:05 AM

Ok I am in Charleston Wv so if you have left overs give me a call. lol

MargeD 08-15-2011 11:13 AM

You really did hit the jackpot. I would take all that you can use, and either take the remainder to a group that makes charity quilts, or tell him that you will make him a quilt and donate 1-5 quilts to charity.

maryp 08-15-2011 11:34 AM

take it all then what u dont want give it to someone

Latrinka 08-15-2011 11:57 AM

Take it all girl!

Lynneander 08-15-2011 12:27 PM

It has been said already, but I would take all the fabric, then make him a lovely quilt in memory of his wife and her mother. I would only take the fabric I could reasonably use and then donate the remainder to a group that makes charity quilts. In the end, it seems like a wonderful way to honor those passed by paying it forward in their names.

Heather Hayllar 08-15-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
OMG that's so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARe you in the car yet??? LOL
Be sure to show us all the loot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More to the point.... "Are you there yet? Are you there yet?"
:) Lucky girl!!
Enjoy and as someone else said sell the unwanted/ un-needed and give the cash to his favourite charity.
God Bless Him!

labtechkty 08-15-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
Maybe as a favor to him, you could find a group that makes charity quilts and bring the remainder of the fabric that you don't want directly to the group. He would probably be happy to know that the remainder of the fabric/supplies went to help soldiers or children and the fact that he didn't need to take it anywhere.

:thumbup: