Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt in the freezer... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-freezer-t200628.html)

FroggyinTexas 09-17-2012 04:30 AM

Before marking a quilt top with a Frixion pen for some finishing-touches-redwor, I marked some of the scraps from the top with the pen I intended to use. First I pressed the scraps with a very hot iron. All marks disappeared instantly. Then I folded the scrap and put it in the freezer compartment of the refrigerator. The marks reappeared. I put the scrap on an outside table in the hot Texas sun and the marks disappeared. Since it is much more likely that my quilt will be exposed to heat than to freezing temperatures, I marked the redwork pattern on the quilt top. It was a difficult task because the Frixion pen does not have the marking power that Sharpies have. But that difficulty is offset by the fact that the Frixion ink did not bleed into the surrounding fabric.

It is my opinion, which in this case is neither humble nor arrogant, that should the marks ever reappear because the quilt is exposed to freezing temperatures, the user huddled under it will not be very interested in the marks. froggyintexas

chiles 09-17-2012 05:05 AM

I use the washable Crayola markers (for kids) and have never had a problem with them not washing out of a quilt.

pinebeltquilter 09-17-2012 05:18 AM

I have used these pens with much success. I press the lines out as soonas I am finished with them and I have not had any trouble, so I will continue using them..Sorry for the ones that are not happy with them because they do save a lot of time.

stchenfool 09-17-2012 05:32 AM

Thank you so much for sharing that wow

bearisgray 09-17-2012 06:28 AM

It seems that some of these 'disappearing markers' are in the same category as doing a 'simple delete' of a computer file.

It seems to be 'gone' - but are we absolutely certain that it won't reappear again under certain circumstances?

luvstoquilt301 09-17-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by chiles (Post 5520555)
I use the washable Crayola markers (for kids) and have never had a problem with them not washing out of a quilt.

I did this for MANY quilts and worked perfectly.

Maire 09-17-2012 07:29 AM

A local quilt shop carries the pens but the other day I noticed a big hand made sign by the pens saying "only use on paper", they were busy so I couldn't ask why they added the sign.

needles3thread 09-17-2012 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the info.

Morag 09-17-2012 10:40 AM

Great information but I'll stick to my Sewline pen thank you...I love them!

ghostrider 09-17-2012 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5519952)
I agree completely with this. My concern isn't that I'm sending a quilt to an Eskimo who might see my quilt markings, my concern is what remains in the fibers after the ink is ironed "out".

This is one of my concerns, too, along with the fact that I live where it is frequently below the 14ºF 'minimum temperature' at which the markings reappear...as do the people I give quilts to (yet, to the best of my knowledge, there are no Eskimos in New Hampshire).

Frixion pens have never been recommended for fabric use by the manufacturer and if they don't have enough confidence in their product to do that, I sure don't. Sticking with my trusty Sewline ceramic pencil which WAS made for fabric use. To each their own, like so many other decisions in quilting.