Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt in the freezer... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-freezer-t200628.html)

JanieH 09-17-2012 01:44 PM

Do they make a color that will show up on dark denim? I want to do an embroidery design on a denim shirt for my "bestest friend" and can't find anything that will show up. If lines came back faintly, it wouldn't really matter!

meanmom 09-17-2012 04:29 PM

I took about 20 different unwashed fabric scraps and randomly sewed them together. I marked on them with my frixion pen, ironed and froze them. It came bak light but there. Reironed and washed them and it was gone from most of the fabrics. I have noticed on some darkish fabrics it will leave a whitish line when it irons out. So far the white line has washed out for me.

LadyElisabeth 09-17-2012 05:04 PM

THANK YOU for taking the time, energy and effort to do the research. I'm sure many of us appreciate it, even if we don't answer this thread.

CAS49OR 09-17-2012 05:14 PM

Interesting thread! I remember coming onboard as an excited newbie after I learned about Frixxon pens at a quilt show. Then I found out they left a white line on my dark fabrics after washing. Now I see someone posted those wash out -- thank you for experimenting. I guess I would have to wash again.

The question about what chemicals are in there which might cause the reappearing line, whether on dark fabric or put in the freezer, is a good one.

In any case, I used a pencil for the markings on my last quilt. Someone had shared a thread about all the stubby pencils her hubby uses to mark. I rubbed it right off without even washing it.

Someone asked, "What is the point of using them?" I guess the point is the point. You can make a precise mark.

My quilts will never go in a show or to a customer. I just sew for myself but I only use the Frixxion pen on the back of the fabric "just in case".

PghPat 09-17-2012 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maire (Post 5521020)
A local quilt shop carries the pens but the other day I noticed a big hand made sign by the pens saying "only use on paper", they were busy so I couldn't ask why they added the sign.

I wonder if that quilt shop could be in Monroeville PA. At the Quilt Expo held out there they had a booth and had those pens "with the same sign" but the reason was, they explained, was that they got a shipment of the right brand but the wrong kind of pen...not the erasable ones. I can't think of the name of the shop but it was very close to the Expo Mart where the Sewing Expo was held. I see you are from PA but not what area. Pat (from Pittsburgh)

Cindy60545 09-18-2012 03:22 AM

thanks for the research. I've seen some pros & cons on these pens, one being about the colder temp bringing back the ink. Very faint, I can live with that.

rj.neihart 09-18-2012 03:30 AM

Glad you shared! When I use my marking pens, I've had excellent luck with it all washing out the first time. I line dry after it's washed - no signs of any markings at all....

Maire 09-18-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by PghPat (Post 5522495)
I wonder if that quilt shop could be in Monroeville PA. At the Quilt Expo held out there they had a booth and had those pens "with the same sign" but the reason was, they explained, was that they got a shipment of the right brand but the wrong kind of pen...not the erasable ones. I can't think of the name of the shop but it was very close to the Expo Mart where the Sewing Expo was held. I see you are from PA but not what area. Pat (from Pittsburgh)

Ah ah-you are right, same place same sign, now I know the reason, small world. I live just 15 min. from Expo & that shop, loved the expo-was there every min. it was open & often go to the shop. Since I mostly just have small purchases I try not to interrupt them when they are busy with a customer Are you an ASG member?
Maire

charhend 09-18-2012 05:55 AM

I have used the pens for quite awhile and love them. I do not have a problem after ironing them with the lines still visible. I purchase mine at Staples.

sha'z 09-18-2012 06:21 AM

I wonder, if the pen leaves a white trace on dark fabric but then washes out, couldnt that be used for an advantage for marking a dark quilt top?????
shaz