Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt in the freezer... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-freezer-t200628.html)

thepolyparrot 09-18-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JanieH (Post 5521851)
Do they make a color that will show up on dark denim?

I think you'd have the best luck using the green, purple, orange or pink fluorescent Frixion highlighters for the dark fabrics - that's what shows up best on the quilts I've made, anyway. Better than my Sewline ceramic mechanical pencils. You don't get the fine line with the highlighter, though.

susansomethings 09-18-2012 11:18 AM

Ok ...so those who do not like the fixion pen, could you please let me know what you do like to use. I have only done free motion quilting or stitch in the ditch because I am unsure of what to use ..
thanks ladies

CAS49OR 09-18-2012 11:22 AM

Just use a simple #2 pencil.

Maggieloe 09-18-2012 04:05 PM

Fun for grandchildren too. I've written notes - plain ol' paper - and ironed them. I send them to the kids with a sticky note telling them to put it in the freezer. Of course they are quite impressed. Then - have mom iron the note again. I sent them each their own Frixion pens eventually.

MarthaT 09-19-2012 05:41 AM

So there are Frixion pens that do work and don't work...as in are for paper only? I'm just catching on to these pens. Can someone tell me what kinds there are and which ones not to use on fabric? I'm thinking of using them on quilts for my grandkids, etc. that will be used all the time and will probably never become heirlooms, so who cares about what the marks will do 30 yrs. from now. (I hope the quilts are loved to death by then.) Are Frixion pens erasable pens? Someone mentioned highlighters too. I'm getting from different posts that Frixion makes a variety of pens and I thought there was only one, but then I haven't shopped for them either. What do I buy to mark light fabrics and dark fabrics?

ghostrider 09-19-2012 06:41 AM

MarthaT, Pilot makes three types of Frixion gel pens...a fine point, a ball/roller point, and a highlighter. All are erasable on paper, but there is no mention of use on fabric made by the company. They are intended for use on paper and that's how they are marketed by Pilot. On paper, the thermo-sensitive gel markings "erase" from the friction of rubbing with an eraser. Quilters have 'adopted' them, just as they adopted Orvus (a shampoo for horses) and many other products.

I can't/won't tell you what to buy for your quilts, but personally I use a Sewline ceramic pencil with either white or gray lead depending on the fabric I'm marking.

Peckish 09-19-2012 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5525591)
personally I use a Sewline ceramic pencil with either white or gray lead depending on the fabric I'm marking.

This is what I use as well.

Pepita 09-19-2012 07:36 PM

Frankly, I am happy that there is another source for marking my quilt. Sometimes you need something that will show up. I am not against pencils etc. for marking either. I just think there are appropriate times for everything--even the Frixion pens, and I was very happy when my sister sent me one for Christmas.

kittiebug 09-20-2012 01:12 AM

I've used the frixion love it.just iron it off :rolleyes:

karate lady 09-21-2012 10:14 PM

why would you put a quilt inthe freezer in the first place??????? One of those thangs that make me go Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.