Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt as a Gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-gift-t47857.html)

quiltingfan 05-31-2010 04:36 PM

I am pretty picky on whom I give quilts too. My brother or sister in law wont get one because I do not think they are into quilts and it is not there thing. I did give my SIL a quilted table runner for Christmas last year and I have not heard anything from her. So sure wont be making a full size quilt.

gingerella 05-31-2010 04:41 PM

At my daughter's house one day a couple months after Christmas I noticed a quilt I had given to her for Christmas was out on the patio table, wadded up waiting to be washed - I guess. I didn't say anything but she said "Oh here's your quilt, Mom" I replied, "No, it's not my quilt, when I give a gift, it's no longer mine."

As my husband says "you're not married to it, you're married to me" So, I have to mentally divorce myself from it, and so far, it does work. I just remind myself, "I'm not married to it."

MadQuilter 05-31-2010 04:47 PM

Never with a quilt. One GF was brutally honest when she told me that she didn't like the top I was working on for her and she tried to lay claim to another top. It took me a while to get over the audacity but in the end.....I made her a quilt that she loves.

I seem to not do too well in the acknowledgement of regular gifts. Pat's nephew never said boo about the wedding present. I wonder if he expected a quilt (which I considered making but I had a feeling we were invited because of gifts.)

craftybear 05-31-2010 06:39 PM

I don't think others realize the time and $ in making a quilt

marsye 05-31-2010 06:41 PM

Hey! Make one for me....(a rag quilt) and I'll show you what grateful is!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

bookworm 05-31-2010 06:52 PM

Mine are generally well received, thankfully. I have one friend that keeps trying to talk me out of making him a quilt but I think when he gets it he'll love it (its going to be a periodic table and he is a chemistry nut). I'm just really glad that people tend to understand the care that goes into my quilts.

Although.... I did make one for a ex and he never seemed to notice it when it fell off his bed :( I generally ended up sleeping under it instead of him. But... It happens...

Jim's Gem 05-31-2010 07:32 PM

Yes, I have given one as a wedding gift and have never received a thank you or even an acknowledgment that it was received (I handed her the gift bag with it in there)

Also when I sent a pair of quilts to my nieces, I never heard if they had even gotten then. I finally asked my niece about 5 mos later if they liked their quilts and she said that they both did (ages 11 & 9) My brother and SIL never said anything.

CAROLJ 05-31-2010 09:05 PM

My mother in law gave my gift back to me two years later.

JanetM 05-31-2010 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
My mother in law gave my gift back to me two years later.

:shock: :shock: :shock: That is horrible. Several of you say that once you give a gift it belongs to the recipient and if a thank you isn't forthcoming...oh well.

I must admit that you are more gracious than I would be. I would vow never to make them anything in the future. Nonquilters may not know exactly how much money and time go into a quilt, but they surely know that it didn't make itself and can pretty well guess that a considerable amount of time went into making it. I guess if I'm not so forgiving I will have to be careful to make a quilt only for someone I am sure would be appreciative.

nantucketsue 06-01-2010 06:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I made one for my son and DIL for their wedding. I was asked to make a contemporary quilt with an autumn theme. It took me forever as it was all handquilted. My son appreciated the work that went into it but I wonder if they really liked it because it has never been seen since. I am now working on a wedding quilt for my other son and his wife, but I am worried that they will not like it and the same will happen. Here is a (not very good) photo of the first quilt, which granted is more a wall hanging than a bed quilt, but they did want contemporary.

Forever Amber
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76670[/ATTACH]