Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt as a Gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-gift-t47857.html)

sss 05-31-2010 03:52 PM

Has anyone ever given a quilt as a gift to someone and after giving the quilt gift you hardly get a thank you? I just don't think people realize the time, work, thought and worry that you put into each quilt you do, especially when it is for someone you think is going to love it. I just finished a retirement quilt for a friend who I work with. We have worked together for 10 yrs. Her thank you to me was, "Your quilt was a big hit!"
Any thoughts on this? I know I should not be upset but I am.

BKinCO 05-31-2010 03:55 PM

YES! Just recently happened to me. Made a quilt for a teacher's retirement at our school. No lie ~ I handed it to her and she placed it on her shelf and said "oh! Thank you!" and that was it............

I don't give quilts (or handmade gifts for that matter) for the recognition, but I have to say that one kinda stung. I didn't expect that from her at all.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some.

MamaBear61 05-31-2010 03:55 PM

This has happened to many of us. Unless the receiver is a quilter or at least a crafter they probably don't get it.

Kathy N 05-31-2010 03:56 PM

Oh this definitely happens, probably more often than I do get thank you's. It makes my husband madder than me. He wants to say something to them along the lines of "show a little respect". I just let it roll off because it gives me an excuse to make another quilt. The big thank you comes when you check back in with them in a year or two and find out they are using it everyday! I made one for my son's best friend when they graduated H.S. and he just had a baby 12 years later and when I went to take the baby a quilt he was thrilled and showed me his quilt. Says he cuddles up to watch TV every night under it.

luvstoquilt301 05-31-2010 04:05 PM

Sadly quite often. BUT, I have decided when that happens--no more gifts for that person. This happened with my Stepdaughter who about lives on the computer. How hard is it to send an email thank you?

gingerella 05-31-2010 04:08 PM

It's worse when it's your daughter. I promised myself no more quilts for her - I find them on the floor- being walked on, hanging up to cover the window when the room was being painted, etc.

But then, last year she asked me for one I was making and I can't refuse. So yes, she has two more. At least I find them (or one of them) on her bed once in a while.

hazeljane 05-31-2010 04:28 PM

I look at it as the gift was my time and thoughts. And because it is a gift, I can let go when I give it. I made my husband's two grandbabies quilts, and I am just starting to get to know his kids. (His ex-wife has made sure it's not comfortable for ANYONE to be friendly with me) My husband took them when he went to visit at Easter. They were a huge hit with the girls, and his daughter in law thanked him to pass along to me, but that's it. And you know, I'd make them quilts again, because it is not about the thanks I get, it is about the joy I feel in making them and giving them love.

I understand why people are hurt, but for me, it's part of letting go as I get older.I don't take on other people's rudeness or let it affect my actions. Life is too short to feel that kind of resentment. If my quilts get used, I'm happy.

CarrieAnne 05-31-2010 04:31 PM

Hugs...I would be hurt too. I agree, they probaly dont know how much work you had to put into it!

sss 05-31-2010 04:32 PM

You are absolutely right but it still hurts.

Mamagus 05-31-2010 04:35 PM

I give my quilts to people I LIKE. It is my way of saying, "Here, I like you so you have the great honour of one of quilts being in your life. Cherish it or chuck it, it is yours and I am happy to have made it for you."
Now having said that DH keeps asking me to make a quilt for his daughter. She is thirty, has a great job and lives in another province and has never in the 6 years I have known him, sent him a birthday card, Father's Day card, Christmas card and of course never a gift either... so let me tell you I don't LIKE the selfish little %&!@* (rhymes with witch). She's on my list but I am hoping he forgets he has ever mentioned it!

I am making a lap quilt for a friend who is retiring from my old school, and I LIKE her. That's enough for me.