Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   quilting for dummies, (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-dummies-t77521.html)

quiltmaker 11-21-2010 03:52 AM

As stated above there is no such thing as a dumb question. This is the forum for asking any and all questions. Admin. also created the search feature so we can all look up and review topics already brought up. One problems is people don't necessarily ask their question correctly in the new topic which they are supposed to do. This gets questions asked and answered all out of wack. Also something that personally gripes me is that people don't read through the entire thread and re-ask the same thing over and over again when it has already been answered in that particular thread.

I know many people don't care but those of use that like to read thoughout the entire thread do get a bit aggrivated especially when it becomes a very long thread and you could have taken out about 3 or so pages because people didn't read through the entire thread. Just jumping into a topic where ever and making comments can really take the topic far off subject.

Also there is a welcome thread, tutorial thread, pictures thread, not quilting related thread, for sale thread and others when you first get onto the board. If all of these were used as the way they were set up to be used I believe things would go a lot smoother for everyone. Like someone else mentioned Craftybear and some others are just fabulous and finding links to help people out. I so enjoy reading, learning and just enjoying hearing how others do things.

I would think everyone would try and familiarize with all the available subject areas and go to the area that best suits their needs. I know Admin. has gone to great lengths to make this possible for the benefit of everyone on the board. This is hands down the best set up board available to any quilter on the net. So in my humble opinion it is our own responsibility to familiarize with how the board works to the best advantage for everyone.

Thanks Admin, and all Moderators for all you have done and continue to do to have such a fabulous board.

JAGSD 11-21-2010 05:00 AM

When you are new to this site though, none of this is known. Thru trial and error is it all figured out and asking of questions. In my opinion Many do not have the time to read thru 30 or more post so am sure that plays a big part into a lot of re-questions we live and we learn.I do not think it is intentional on anyones part to reask.

Tweety2911 11-21-2010 06:09 AM

I for one find the questions to sometimes re-awaken something that was long forgotten or one not thought of and am so happy to see it.
One wonderful thing about this forum is that everyone offers great information and advice or a sympathetic ear.

Fabaddict 11-21-2010 06:12 AM

someone once told me the only dumb question is the one not asked. And it is very very True

b.zang 11-21-2010 06:21 AM

Where better to ask questions than "where we talk about anything related to quilting"?

Questions seem to run through cycles as new people join. There are some who have been here a long time and are very good at using the search feature to find exactly the right thread where a topic has been discussed. That doesn't mean that another discussion should not happen, since quilting is evolving and new things are happening all the time.

Kayaker26 11-21-2010 07:15 AM

I bet the cat took the thimble!

Tinabodina 11-21-2010 07:20 AM

This is where we get to ask those questions. I am so happy to find such a place. Ask anything you want and anyone here will answer. There are new quilters and seasoned quilters. I have ask many questions and have always gotten an answer while not made to feel stupid. Ask away!

Parrothead 11-21-2010 07:36 AM

I think it would be helpful for newbies to have someplace where there is a list of acronyms that are used on the board. As an "old" quilter, I sometimes don't know some of the newer acronyms.

mem123 11-21-2010 08:53 AM

All of the above! :thumbup:

auntiehenno 11-21-2010 09:55 AM

Olga: You can ask any question you want. Always told my students, don't ever be afraid to ask questions in my class,,,ever. :)