Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilting magazine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazine-t190457.html)

JENNR8R 06-02-2012 04:11 AM

I like magazines that teach technique vs. patterns. I've subscribed to Quilters Newsletter and McCalls, but I will not renew. I recently subscribed to Machine Quilters Unlimited because it is full of techniques on free-motion quilting, which is what I'm trying to learn.

mommaB 06-02-2012 04:27 AM

McCall's Quilting, American Patchwork and Quilting, Fons & Porter. I'd get them all if I could!! I know they're expensive, I know I can never make everything in them, but a girl can dream can't she?? I'm a before bed reader, so I keep a stack in my room and older issues become new again!! Who remembers what you read when you're half asleep? And as my skill level improves (ever so slowly) patterns I never dreamed possible become "maybe's! These three seem to have varied skill levels, a variety of techniques, and really pretty pictures. Yes many ads, but they are also inspiring. Good luck choosing! Its hard!

Jratcliff 06-02-2012 05:05 AM

Are you referring to Quilting Arts magazine or The Art of Quilting? I can't find one called Art Quilt.

JanetLovesSewing 06-02-2012 05:57 AM

My quilt guild accepts magazine and resales them for $.25 each or 5 for $1.00. Often people take them home and bring them back so that others can buy and read and/or use them. Granted a lot are old magazines, but still, a pattern is a pattern. Some only keep their magazines a few months before donating them. i stopped almost all except Fons and Porter, and I may stop them. With all the free stuff on the internet and the magazines from the guild, I don't see much point in subscriptions. Besides, where do you keep them all?

wendiq 06-02-2012 06:04 AM

I, too, have let my subscriptions play out, but my favorite was always "Quiltmaker". However, now, I find most of my patterns and information on the internet. No need for me to collect the paper copies. If I get too hungry for the "real deal", I pick up a mag at Joann's.

patchsamkim 06-02-2012 06:32 AM

I love the Primitive Quilts magazine...there is a great variety of projects within each issue....it really is like getting a book. I first subscribed for 1 year, but then renewed for 2 more. I do not subscribe to any other magazines at this time, but occasionally buy the Quilts and More magazine, and buy the Quilt shop series magazines. Otherwise, a magazine here and there, but there has to be several things in the magazine I really like before I will buy it....which is rare. But once in a while there is a magazine I only like 1 or 2 things that I do feel I just have to have....and rationalize it that it still most of the time is less than buying a single pattern...most of those now are like $9.00 each.

chaskaquilter 06-02-2012 06:42 AM

I, too, used to get a few magazines every month. But let them expire. I find so many inspirations and help on this board the internet and none of it takes of any room.

patdesign 06-02-2012 06:48 AM

My Favs are Quiltmaker, Better Homes & Gardens American Patchwork, and Mc Calls Quilting. I do not care for Fons & Porter and Quilters Newsletter.

Latrinka 06-02-2012 06:48 AM

I'm currently subscribed to Better Homes and Gardens American Patchwork & Quilting. I have used some of the patterns in a few of them, and just love getting them to look at.

Morag 06-02-2012 07:05 AM

I have bought many different magazines but I was introduced to the Quilters Newsletter 30+ years ago and still buy it.