Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t77079.html)

quiltbuddy 11-19-2010 04:18 AM

Your local library should carry at least one quilting magazine with the older magazines available to check out.

lindagor 11-19-2010 04:24 AM

Go to your local library before getting a subscription. Mine carries two different magazines and I love being able to check them out and look to my hearts content without paying a penny.

rustqlts 11-19-2010 04:55 AM

Like Donna, I prefer Quiltmaker and Love of Quilting also. Most times, a quilt 'I've just got to make' has been from Quiltmaker. Fons and Porters' Love of Quilting is so much better this time around since they're doing it themselves, that I began subscribing again.

Zephyr 11-19-2010 05:06 AM

I cancelled all my substriptions.

Rettie V. Grama 11-19-2010 05:10 AM

I Agree!

Originally Posted by BMP
I have stopped all my magazines but Quilters World. I do like that one, such a variety of things in it.

fireworkslover 11-19-2010 05:41 AM

I'd say it really depends on what you like. Some magazines are really geared more towards very traditional patterns and others are more Art Quilts. Look at the different ones or if wrapped in plastic and you can't, buy just one. Then decide if you want a subscription.

jdavis 11-19-2010 05:43 AM

I would try to avoid the urge to subscribe to any magazine before checking out some past issues. I would check the library. One library near here keeps a basket of giveaway magazines, and they have a used book sale once a month. At least one local quilt show offers used mags for sale...Cheap! Ask at your LQS, too!

Dodie 11-19-2010 05:53 AM

I also let all of my subscriptions expire as I got tired of paying for all of that advertisement I use to like Fons and Porter but they even started putting a clothes catalog right in the center that could not be taken out without taking the magazine apart I agree use the library I also belong to a quilt guild a good group that we borrow and exchange from also lots of sites with free patterns try Quilterscache.com enjoy quilting

LindaR 11-19-2010 06:11 AM

can't seem to give up subscriptions to any of them...stacked up in closet LOL...

Central Ohio Quilter 11-19-2010 06:21 AM

I love just about any quilt magazines and therefore, I can't seem to throw any of my old ones away. I have an entire bookcase shelf of just quilting magazines, so I have decided to never subscribe to another quilting magazine. (yeah, right!) Well for now anyway.....

With so many patterns and ideas on the Internet, seems silly to pay $20 or so for 6 more issues of magazine. That could buy several yards of fabric!

My favorite is Better Homes and Gardens quilting magazine. Love it! Now, I will have to take a browse through my 5 - 20 year old issues of some magazines.

This board here has so much more help and hints than a magazine ever could!