Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting magazines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-magazines-t77079.html)

acjacques 11-19-2010 06:51 AM

There are so many free to download patterns from fabric manufacturers, other blogs, etc. Why not surf the internet for 'free patterns' and on YouTube for tutorials. I wish they have all these 40 years ago when I first started quilting, I learned quilting from my husband's grandmother, making what was then known as bedcovers.

CarrieAnne 11-19-2010 07:14 AM

I love them all, but I look for them used. Check at thrift stores, garage sales, and the classifieds here!

Jamiestitcher62 11-19-2010 07:24 AM

I subscribe to Quick Quilts, McCalls Quilting and Quilt Magazine. I'm still relatively new to quilting and I like to oooohh and aaaaahh over the pretty colors in the magazines. LOL.

I have canceled all but one of my cross stitch magazines though, too much clutter in my house.

donnaree59 11-19-2010 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
I love them all, but I look for them used. Check at thrift stores, garage sales, and the classifieds here!

That is where I got the majority of my magazines BEFORE I started subscribing. You can get on ebay and sometimes get 10 for under $10.00, if you hit the right sale! That is how I got a whole bookcase of magazines that I am now going through and passing on.

quilt3311 11-19-2010 08:06 AM

For a beginning quilter I think Quick Quilts, The Quilter and Quilters World would probably be a place to start. You might check your local library. Ours carry's several subscriptions to quilting magazines.
I get Quiltmaker, American Quilter and Quilting Arts

Bev 11-19-2010 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
My favorite magazine is Quilters World 1 because you can have a digital copy and 2 the quilts are beautiful and they have instructions that you can follow even for a beginer.

I agree. I'm letting my subscriptions run out, except Quilter's World. I'll keep that for another year or two.
But I have kept many of my past mags in those black magazine holders from Walmart's. I weeded out the older ones and kept the 2000 and forward ones. I go back over them and use the patterns and re-enjoy the articles because at my age one forgets everything that didn't happen yesterday. That'll do me for the rest of my life I'm thinking. 8-)

catrancher 11-19-2010 09:31 AM

I get a lot of them, but my absolute favorite is Quilter's World. You can get a digital subscription online or the print version. It is stuffed with great patterns.

Sandi 11-19-2010 10:02 AM

Hi JoAnn,
I would check out guilds as well as library for mags. I still consider myself a beginner and take classes for demos and guidance. Videos are good too. I started with a turning twenty and a friendship star for 4th of July. Also a sampler class is good and I went with a Quilt mag that absolutely love- Quilting Arts. which is for art quilters. Fons and Porter was one of my first mags.
I go with the passionate interest as it is inspiration. Hope this helps
Christmas is coming!
Sandi

krisgray 11-19-2010 11:16 AM

The only one I subscribe to , or ever have, is The Quilt Life. That's b/c it's more than just patterns and the same old instructions for binding, etc. However, when I feel the need for some patterns, I go to Borders or Barnes & Noble, grab 3-4 mags and get a cup of coffee and look through them - me time. If there's one I really like, I get it. I also thumb through them at JoAnns and Wal-Mart.

Nolee 11-19-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
When I started quilting I bought a baby quilt book at JAs. Fast projects. Great instructions. Even had speed piecing tech.

Title is: Quilts for Baby, Easy as ABC by Ursula Golisz Reikes.

Use your 40% coupon! Plan to give it to friend for Christmas cuz she's collection "stuff" to start quilting after the holidays.

I hate when JoAnn's has that 10% off magazines for sometimes 3-4 weeks at a time. Who would buy them when you can get them for 40% off unless there was a quilt in one that you just had to have????