Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-still-enjoyable-you-t155374.html)

EagarBeez 09-24-2011 08:11 AM

I have found a hobby I love.. I have done crochet, needlepoint... to name a few. I still like doing it ocassionally, but, I am hooked on quilts. Not a professional or anywhere near. Don't work as fast as I had. Try to find at least 3 hrs a day. I am making a log cabin for my sister. Thinking it's taking long. I block in 3hrs. Doing it strip. Have to square up as I go along..No matter I love what I am creating

Shelbie 09-24-2011 10:09 AM

Quilting is my sanity saver and it's much cheaper than therapy or drugs. I've always had a very busy sometimes hectic and stressful life, so I needed something to give me some down time. An added benefit was that it is a good use of my time and has produced some wonderful gifts. I only stitch what I want to make and won't make commissions for anyone. That way I have no restrictions and can share my quilts with those I please. I've been stitching since I was nine and my DD says that when she hears that I no longer want to quilt or sew than it will be time to send me to live in "the Home!"

sueisallaboutquilts 09-24-2011 12:36 PM

I learned in the late 80's and am more passionate than ever!! :D:D
So glad I found this board- I've learned a ton!

susie-susie-susie 09-24-2011 01:15 PM

Yes. I have been quilting for probably 30 years. I call it my therapy. If I don't sew when watching TV at night, I fall asleep. Quilting relaxes me and I enjoy it very very much.
Sue

simplyme 09-24-2011 04:05 PM

I have to make myselt stop sewing to clean house. When my hubby is at work and the kids are at school all I can think about is quilting. I do try to fit a few things in between the profects like the laundry. But mostly I just want to sew, shop for fabric or anything else quilting. Once a year when it is time for Houston Quilt Fest. hubby take over the house and I get to go and play to my heart content. I can't wait for November.

JanetLovesSewing 09-24-2011 04:46 PM

Lately, I have been working from pre-dawn to night time at two jobs. The house is a pig sty (that cleaning stuff must have been made up by someone with maid service). The only have way decent room is the "Creativety Zone". I get to the machine sometimes now. If I could get there more often I would. There is something about the sound of fabric being fed through the presser foot and the throat plate that makes me smile.

Bobbielinks 09-24-2011 04:53 PM

Been quilting about 40 years and hope to quilt every day for the rest of my life!

irquilter 09-25-2011 02:47 AM

Unlike many other crafts which I have turned to over the years for creative expression and outlet quilting feels like a lifetime passion. For example as I helped a friend selects fabrics for two quilts yesterday, I could feel the tensions I was carrying just slide off my shoulders. We both seemed to be totally absorbed by the process, and our shared delight when we found just the right combination of fabrics was nothing short of wonderful. Even as they were being cut our excitement over seeing how it all turns out kept building until we were practically drooling. Now how could we grow tired of this, and this was only one facet of a multi-faceted creative adventure! I believe that we are blessed to have found quilting.

jitkaau 09-25-2011 02:47 AM

Youbetcha!

Cattyqwltr 09-25-2011 02:52 AM

Yes, over the years as my skill has grown, I'm finding my way which is usually to design quilts out of my own head. Since I make most of my stuff with recipients in mind, I gear each one personally. When my DH gave me an open toe foot for my machine and I discoverd FMQ, I have really come to love the entire quiltmaking process.