Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-still-enjoyable-you-t155374.html)

clsurz 09-24-2011 06:15 AM

Quilting is still alive and well internationally or we wouldn't have a group like this one. There are all types of quilters from traditional, contemporary, to modern (doing it my way) and no quilt police.

I belong to two quilt guilds and folks are still joining just about every month and many are younger in age than not.

I'm in the process of starting a MOD Quilt Guild with folks within a hundred mile radius of me which are like minded folks leaning more to "doing it my way" artisticly than doing it traditionally. There is nothing wrong with tradional however we want to get away from the "cookie cutter" mentality. It's not saying we won't ever do a traditional block but will very much alter different types of blocks and create our own one of a kind if we so desire.

Quilting in any form is alive and well and will continue to thrive locally and forming guilds online internationally.

Deb watkins 09-24-2011 06:20 AM

I am still a youngster in this - only about 11 years. I love being inspired by all the pictures from fellow quiters. I have to admit, most of my inspiration comes from your avatars!!! Quilterscache.com is also one of my favorite sites. Connecting Treads won't ever have to worry about going out of business. I have a pretty nice stash, in a fairly good array of colors. I do have the problem if finishing one thing before jumping into another project. good thing it is okay to have WIP's and UFO's!

blueangel 09-24-2011 06:31 AM

Yes I still love it. I just can't wait to get started on a new project.

running1 09-24-2011 06:35 AM

Oh yes... it's only been 7-8 years, but I love every minute of it... and already I can see the progress I've made when I see the earlier quilts... no matter, they were works of love and still are...

And the next best thing to quilting??? Reading about it here on the QB!! :-D

snipforfun 09-24-2011 06:37 AM

I'm passionate about quilting but sometimes feels very burdensome with all this fabric! I feel a need to "get it done" before I die!!!

janedee 09-24-2011 06:42 AM

Love it even more than when I first started - get quite grumpy if I don't do a little each day

QuiltQtrs 09-24-2011 06:42 AM

Have been quilting/sewing for over 40 years .... I consider it my therapy,
and my avocation.... as much as anyone who is proficient in other arts,
be it dance, music, whatever. Am always inspired by other quilter's
projects.

Buckeye Rose 09-24-2011 07:00 AM

It's only been a few years since I've started making quilts, but I love making every one of them....the exception may be anything with pinwheels! I give most of them away and get my enjoyment from seeing the recipients faces when they open them up. I also am very careful to not give to people who won't appreciate them, and never make a quilt without keeping the recipients taste in mind. DD isn't a traditional quilt girl, so am making her a bargello for her bedroom in her colors, teals and browns. It's about 2/3 pieced and she loves it! The smiles say everything I need to hear!

0tis 09-24-2011 07:05 AM

I have been quilting for about 1 1/2 yrs and loving it. I had the desire about 20+ yrs ago - but did not have the $$$ to do it. Now I can afford to buy fabric and with the internet - it makes it so nice to learn new things - especially this board which gives me new ideas all the time. My problem is I don't want to do anything else - like housework, paying bills, etc - I just want to be in my sewing room all the time.

grammy17 09-24-2011 07:08 AM

I love it. Been at it off and on for ten years or so. It is a challenge for me. Still working at trying to get my points to line up. Still working one one quit for each grand child--all 17 of them. Oh--and the 8 great-grands.

Thanks for teaching me about the design wall. I leave one up there in any stage and enjoy it. Switch the squares around and have so much fun.

And being inspired by all of you showing what you have done.

Thanks for enriching my life.