Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Quilting Still Enjoyable For You? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-still-enjoyable-you-t155374.html)

plainpat 09-24-2011 02:11 AM

It's been 20 yrs or so since I made my 1st quilt top & you can do a whole lot of them in that space of time.A neighbor said she can't believe I still love making quilts.

Gearing up to start another one right now.Buying fabric is wonderful,choosing a pattern,cutting out,then piecing blocks is all good.Squaring up the blocks is my least fav part.It's not a hobby,but a part of my life.

Do you still like making quilts.....even tho it may have been a "few" yrs since you started?

janell2009 09-24-2011 02:20 AM

I have to respond to this topic... I get just possessed. I have only followed a pattern one time. I do lots of the memory quilts from old t-shirts. I love seeing it all come together and the laying it out and the deciding how it should be, combining of colors, making the fabric do what you want, the quilting of it... I really really love it, and with each one I get better and learn something more. I strive for perfection which I can not achieve, but it is always the goal. I also love to see the people I give them to or sell them to get excited about them. Plus quilters are very nice people....

Diana Lynne 09-24-2011 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
It's been 20 yrs or so since I made my 1st quilt top & you can do a whole lot of them in that space of time.A neighbor said she can't believe I still love making quilts.

Gearing up to start another one right now.Buying fabric is wonderful,choosing a pattern,cutting out,then piecing blocks is all good.Squaring up the blocks is my least fav part.It's not a hobby,but a part of my life.

Do you still like making quilts.....even tho it may have been a "few" yrs since you started?

I have only been quilting for about a year but I love it..For some reason touching the fabric, thinking of what I want to do and working on my quilts (and small items ) give me so much happiness..so soothing, comforting ..There are times, that I just touch my fabric and I get a feeling of calmness..

May in Jersey 09-24-2011 04:05 AM

Yes, it still is enjoyable for me.

I've been quilting about 11 years and at first I worked on a quilt almost day and night until it was finished. Silly me, in those beginning days I thought I couldn't begin another project until I finished the one I was working on. Anyway, I soon learned the ways of quilters and became invovled in trying new blocks, patterns and techniques because I was making more and more quilts which necessitated buying more and more fabrics and supplies - a never ending circle that I thoroughly enjoy being in.

littlehud 09-24-2011 04:24 AM

I still love it. As it says in my tagline "quilting is my therapy."

Tinabodina 09-24-2011 04:27 AM

You betcha! I am more passionate now than ever.

AlwaysQuilting 09-24-2011 04:27 AM

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the deciding on a pattern, fabric buying, piecing etc.
But I've gotten to where I loath the quilting unless I am doing QAYG.
So I have several unquilted tops.

Annie68 09-24-2011 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat

Yes, I still enjoy it immensely, and I started 30 yrs ago.
:)

Jeanniejo 09-24-2011 04:30 AM

Still love it !!! It's my only get away when no one bothers me. My own world !!

bamamama 09-24-2011 04:30 AM

I've been quilting for 41 years and still love it. I recently saw a quilt that I made for a friend when we had our first babies. It was pathetic. I sure have learned alot!