Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sampler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sampler-t65563.html)

Qbee 09-19-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
That's EXACTLY how I started and finished my sampler quilt, I made about 20 blocks in the end, as my skills improved I found I went 'off' some of my first attempts, I didn't think any further than each block at a time, so I was never daunted!!

Here's a picture of the finished quilt, no pattern used and still on my bed after two years!!

That is a stunning qult!! Just beautiful! I love the colors!

Ramona Byrd 09-19-2010 12:53 PM

[quote=ssgramma]Will the quilt police come after me if I just pick whatever blocks I want to learn for a sampler quilt?
----------------------------------
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what the famous Jane Stickle quilt is all about? She used every pattern known to womankind. And it's now held up to us as the true ultimate in quilt making.

So, I say go for it girl! Use your own talents to make a new design for your self or family and friends. Share it with us when you get it going well.

amma 09-19-2010 12:54 PM

Your Quilt, Your Choice :D:D:D

Butterflyblue 09-19-2010 01:00 PM

That's what I decided to do for my first bed-size quilt. I haven't finished it, but I really enjoyed trying all the different blocks and learning new skills.

Quiltforme 09-19-2010 02:12 PM

From my understanding a sampler quilt is done out ofneed to record blocks that an aging quilter wanted to save. She would quilt up her best and favorite hence the sampler quilt. So in todays language you can make it whatever you want becuase you are the quilter and noone else. (not that your aging :)) Jade

tooMuchFabric 09-19-2010 02:15 PM

That's what a sample is, one of these, one of those, maybe 2 of that........
Go for it and post pics!!

bigsister63 09-19-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
That's EXACTLY how I started and finished my sampler quilt, I made about 20 blocks in the end, as my skills improved I found I went 'off' some of my first attempts, I didn't think any further than each block at a time, so I was never daunted!!

Here's a picture of the finished quilt, no pattern used and still on my bed after two years!!

your sampler quilt is very beautiful! I love the colors. I will have to bookmark it so I can remenber the blocks

julybaby8 09-19-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Izy

Your quilt is a work of art. Just beautiful.

sylvia77 09-19-2010 03:22 PM

My only suggestion is to use the same shades for the backgrounds of the different blocks so they will go together without clashing.

FranW 09-19-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ann clare
No quilt police. The choice is all yours. Enjoy.

Exactly! This is supposed to be fun. There are no "wrong decisions", just "creative thinking". Have fun! :thumbup: