Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seams Sew Fast (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seams-sew-fast-t153865.html)

the casual quilter 09-18-2011 03:47 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I had questions about this, too.

QuiltnLady1 09-18-2011 04:40 PM

I had one, it lasted for one long seam then it went in the trash. I did not have the patience to use it. I use a stack of post-its that I put about 2" ahead of the presser foot when I do long seams.

LLWinston44 09-18-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I had one, it lasted for one long seam then it went in the trash. I did not have the patience to use it. I use a stack of post-its that I put about 2" ahead of the presser foot when I do long seams.

Ah ha! Our first review!!!!! And not a love fest. lol. Well, I'm guessing if it was the wonder tool for perfect seams, people would have been all over this with positive feedback. I guess I'm going to pass on this, but I would like to know how to work the moleskin. How does one set it up?

DogHouseMom 09-18-2011 07:34 PM

At first glance I liked it. Might solve a problem I have - I love the 1/4" foot but I can't use a single hole plate because I have to move my needle position to get a scan 1/4". This doohickey would give me an "extended" 1/4" guide and I can keep my needle centered with a single hole plate. Plus, my husband has something in his shop that is very similar that I could use cheaply!

Then I noticed something ... this thing is long. Quite long. And to work it will need to be adhered to the base of the machine.

RIGHT OVER THE TOP OF THE BOBBIN COVER!!! (At least on both of my machines)

DOH!!!

LLWinston44 09-18-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
At first glance I liked it. Might solve a problem I have - I love the 1/4" foot but I can't use a single hole plate because I have to move my needle position to get a scan 1/4". This doohickey would give me an "extended" 1/4" guide and I can keep my needle centered with a single hole plate. Plus, my husband has something in his shop that is very similar that I could use cheaply!

Then I noticed something ... this thing is long. Quite long. And to work it will need to be adhered to the base of the machine.

RIGHT OVER THE TOP OF THE BOBBIN COVER!!! (At least on both of my machines)

DOH!!!

Oh wow!! You're totally right!!!!!! I didn't even notice that!!! I wonder if you could just cut that part out???? Hmmmmm.... Maybe I'll get you as an SP someday and you'll know what you're getting! hahaha

bonnyh 09-19-2011 03:32 AM

Looks to mr like just another gadget to take your money, although it isn't very expensive. It's unbelievable the amount of things people thinkof. I just use my regular foot and move my needle over. I don't even use my 1/4" anymore. I like the way my regulae foot holds the fabric. Good luck.

janeknapp 09-19-2011 03:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1

I always use Post-It sheets, too, when piecing, so I have great accuracy. I peel off five of them at one time and cut a 1/2" strip off the sticky end. I place it a scant 1/4" away from the needle on the right just behind the foot extending about 2.5" ahead of the needle. See the picture below.

Also, here is a PDF file I wrote for my 4-H quilters about getting accuracy in measuring, cutting, and piecing.

Sticky strip of five Post-it notes (may need to be taped down) - use a 1/4" lined notecard to place the strip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259040[/ATTACH]

PDF file of information for accuracy in measuring, cutting, and piecing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]259041[/ATTACH]

Petey 09-19-2011 04:42 AM

It looks like the one I bought - I threw it out...but I don't have a lot of patience.

pstrwife 09-19-2011 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
Has anyone tried this?? It seems like a 'too good to be true' kind of thing.... if it were really THAT easy.........???

http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=1107

seems (lol) like unnecessary expense when you can mark your machine with something else.

shmram 09-19-2011 06:20 AM

I bought theses and tried them....forget it....its easier with the 1/4" foot.....save your money for fabric!