Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sewing without bobbin thread... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-without-bobbin-thread-t163482.html)

patdesign 10-27-2011 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
Have you ever continued sewing without bobbin thread... I mean... without realizing it ran out?

I was speeding right along, doing the strips for the scrappy fence, and getting pretty comfortable with the 1/4" seams.... when I noticed that... the top thread seemed to be coming loose from the fabric....

So stopped sewing, pulled out the strip and lo and behold, the bobbin was empty... ok... not so bad you say.. at least I noticed it...

Well, that was after sewing 4 sets of strips without a bobbin thread (8.5" strips... 4 of them... chain piecing, so not having to lift the presser foot, or cut threads... but you would think I would have noticed! LOL)

AND... why is it that the seams seem to be so much straighter when I run out of bobbin thread...

I like stopping to fill a bobbin, gives me a chance to stretch out my back... need a better chair.

Just thought I would share my... oh my gosh... moment

we need an alarm for when the bobbin is getting close to empty hehe

It happens, some more user friendly machines (some of the older ones like Singers 6268, acatually have a little warning light to alert you when bobbin is low. Miss my 6268!

Willa 10-27-2011 10:22 AM

Yes it happens to me also and always when my seams and such are perfect. lol

Becka 10-27-2011 10:31 AM

I do that all the time! :(

Sherryquilts 10-27-2011 10:43 AM

Oh yes - I have done this on several occasions

fluffygirl 10-27-2011 10:45 AM

Mine always knows to run out of bobbin thread when I am nearly done with a project. Then, of course I have to wind a bobbin just to finish the last few inches!

Pat

Evy 10-27-2011 10:57 AM

My machine is very low tech, (and so am I) so when I start to wind a bobbin, I let it wind couple revolutions then I take one of the kids washable markers and mark about a 6" strip on the thread. When I see hot pink on my tan thread, it's time for a new bobbin.

lovelyl 10-27-2011 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evy
My machine is very low tech, (and so am I) so when I start to wind a bobbin, I let it wind couple revolutions then I take one of the kids washable markers and mark about a 6" strip on the thread. When I see hot pink on my tan thread, it's time for a new bobbin.

What a brilliant idea! :thumbup:

Val in IN 10-27-2011 11:21 AM

Almost everytime I sew. Drive myself nuts, you'd think I'd FINALLY learn! :-)

justflyingin 10-27-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth

we need an alarm for when the bobbin is getting close to empty hehe

Yes! And Yes, I've done it...LOTS AND LOTS of times. It is very frustrating. Now I try to notice every time how low my bobbin is...

majormom 10-27-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by eb in calif
I have an old machine that took a spool of thread in the bobbin - too bad they didn't continue with that idea instead of the small amount of thread actually on a bobbin. there has to be a better way - how hard could it be to use a separate spool and virtually never run out.

That's an idea whose time has come! Come on sewing machine people, do something! I firmly believe that many products are developed by people who don't use them ie. sewing machines are developed by people who don't sew and don't have to try to manipulate around tight spaces, use a screw driver in the left hand when you're right handed, try to see with those miserable lights that don't shine enough light to make a difference, and on and on!!!! hee hee