Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-give-lap-quilt-my-new-hairdresser-t172204.html)

GGJudy 12-18-2011 04:40 AM

Two hair do's and two facials?? My personal opinion is it's a little early to give a wonderful gift like that. If you stay with her for a while and she continues to give you good service then go for it. Meanwhile through discussions with her when you are there, you can casually drop certain facts about long arm quilting, fabric, the amount of time that goes into your hobby, etc. If she does get a lap quilt she will be much more appreciative knowing what goes into it.

kittiebug 12-18-2011 04:47 AM

That's hard. But give from your heart. Just don't talk about having so many quilts, and don't know
what to do with them.People don't know how much work goes in to making a quilt. If you do give give to the daughter.

Murphy1 12-18-2011 05:35 AM

I always give a much larger tip at Christmas. The quilt sounds wonderful, but a larger tip might be what she could really use. If we all tipped larger at this time of year it makes for a really nice bonus.

Michellesews 12-18-2011 06:19 AM

I have given away many quilts to many people, and nine times out of ten they have no idea of the work nor the $$$ involved in the quilt. I give it because I feel like they will appreciate it, know it is like a part of me, and that I am giving it to them because I care about them. Again, this is not always the case, appreicating it, I mean. But that is another thread. I would not worry about what it costs, if you are moved to give, then give. Isn't that what the season is all about anyway??? It might just be the best gift her child receives this year, who knows? It is the giver...meaning YOU, who really receives when giving a gift of oneself. Once the "gift" leaves your hands, it is no longer yours and what happens to it is no longer your concern...it is no longer yours....do I make an sense?

Sierra 12-18-2011 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by luv2so (Post 4790932)
Personally I wouldn't give her a quilt. To me quilts are given to someone special in our life. Maybe in a few years when you've developed a special relationship with her you might want to consider it. If she works for a chain she might be moved or gone before you even finish it. That's a lot of expense and time for someone you hardly know and see very seldom.

Don't most quilters consider those who appreciate, those in need (even if we don't know them), those who long for a touch of love (even if they aren't really aware of their longing) someone who deserves a quilt? Don't most quilters make quilts for different causes.... nursing homes, children in hospitals, victims of natural disasters?

Enchanted Quilter 12-18-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps (Post 4786373)
Jeanne - give it to her with a hug --------if you leave it maybe she won't get it??

Don't just leave it you will miss the BIG SMILE & all the Love in her eyes. Especially if it's her 1st handmade quilt . Don't miss out on it. I will bet it will be Thank You ! you will cherish . Let us know.

azsupergram 12-18-2011 07:11 AM

What would make YOU feel good?

QuiltingNancy 12-18-2011 07:13 AM

Quilts for Hairdresser

I think giving a quilt to someone who performs a personal service for us, such as a hairdresser, is a great idea. I give my hairdresser a quilt for Christmas every year, and she always says it is her best gift.

If it makes you feel good, go ahead. I'm sure she will treasure it for many years to come.

Grannyh67 12-18-2011 07:17 AM

Jeanne, I think when you said "I don't know what I am going to do with all of them" you left the door wide open. Maybe She thought you were giving out an invitation for a Quilt.
When giving a gift it is supposed to be given from the heart. I think you should give it to Her and feel good about. Who knows it might change things for Her. We never know what differences we may make in other peoples lives. If someone gives me something they have made I always know it is special. Give it in love.

Joy

rtia 12-18-2011 07:19 AM

Having been a hairdresser for years beleive me, we dont expect anything, but are always pleased to receice something. I have been extreamly lucky in my years of "service". I got $1000.00 a year from one of my customers for several years, and i was also given by someone with a bag of pretzel bits one year....so my thought is give because you want to, will someone feel good with the gift?
is that not the idea? does the cost really matter?