Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-give-lap-quilt-my-new-hairdresser-t172204.html)

Anna.425 12-18-2011 07:25 AM

Giving isn't about the cost of the gift, it is about the love that it is given with. You can never go wrong by brightening someone else's day.

pseudoquilter 12-18-2011 08:44 AM

Typically ettiquette calls for tipping to be equal to the service you are receiving, so if a hair cut it $20 the tip should equal that. I personally feel a quilt is not appropriate and this is a new hairdresser not someone you have been going to for years.

lsmft 12-18-2011 08:51 AM

I would hold off on giving her the quilt and see where conversations take you in the future. Sounds like your hairdresser is really good at communicating with her customer (you) and it may simply be that...and, she may really be interested in quilting too. You don't know yet. You just know that she is a very friendly person! If she seems genuinely interested in quilting you could bring some of your WIP and share with her what it takes. Her reaction to actually seeing a quilt would tell you. (BTW - you sound like a very friendly person too!)

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 12-18-2011 09:18 AM

Tis the season for giving...... I personally would not hesitate to give her the quilt, or give her one for her daughter. Anything, I am sure would be greatly appreciated. It is what it is....a gift. Since you are planning on going back to her, it appears she is doing a great job on your hair for you. Heavens knows, it is hard to find someone who does our hair just how we like it....especially enough to go back to them. Merry Christmas!!

Olivia's Grammy 12-18-2011 09:45 AM

I've been going to the same hairdresser since she got out of school (about 20 years). She and my DS were friends in school. If I go to her in Dec I take her a gift. But I also give her things all year. She has 4 children. We are in a co-op and can't eat all the stuff we get so I pass it on to her. I'm sure she'd rather get things for her children than for her self.
Do what your heart tells you and you can't go wrong.

Macie 12-18-2011 10:57 AM

Maybe what you can do is give her the quilt for Christmas and maybe or tell her that the quilt would also be included as a tip for the entire year. That way you do not have to tip her each time you go get your hair done or a massage. Good luck

medots 12-18-2011 11:00 AM

give her the quilt and who knows she might order one for her daughter, it will be very good advertising for you.
Bless you.

Macie 12-18-2011 11:01 AM

Just had another idea...How about telling her for Christmas you will help her make her own quilt. You could be her instructor and that way she may make a lot of quilts

Leonita 12-18-2011 11:04 AM

I have made the raggy quilts in those situtions (for daughter) & they are quick & not too wxpwnsive. I use cute flannel & some times 7 fabrics. I Cut 7" sqs & clip 7x9 is nice size or even 7x8 depending on size of child.. Wouln't have to put in batting.. the children seem to enjoy them.

jcrow 12-18-2011 11:07 AM

I totally agree with you. Giving quilts to charity is what we do. This girl is someone who I plan on being a hair dresser to me for years to come. I live in a small town and stick to one hair dresser for years. I know she will appreciate a quilt. I have some ready to go and no one to give them to. I am going to give her my "Hearts over Texas" quilt. I made it with "Wild Rose" fabric. I think it's lovely. I know her taste since she decorated her shop. I think she will love it. She goes out of her way to make my hair look great. New styles, new colors...she does her art on me, I think I'll give her some of my art to her.