Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I start quilting club back up??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-start-quilting-club-back-up-t104038.html)

#1piecemaker 03-01-2011 05:45 AM

For several years a group of us ladies got together every week and spent most of the day sitting around quilting, visiting, helping each other and having lunch together. We had a lot of fun doing this. And then it started going sour. We started out piecing our quilts by hand and quilting in hoops, each working on their own things. Then we set up a frame. We took turns quilting on quilts for each other. Some of the ladies would just show up to quilt when theirs was in the frame, then they started bickering about the correct way to do it. They would forget who was supposed to provide lunch that day. One of the ladies showed up drunk and fell off her chair and we had to call an ambulance. All of the meetings took place in my home so I had all the mess to worry with each week. I never got any work done on my own stuff because I was always helping someone else. I didn't mind that at all. I enjoy helping someoneelse. But, with all the desention, it got to where i was dreading quilting day. So, I called it off until further notice. Now, they are all wanting to start the group back up. I have serious reservations. But, these are some good friends and I do enjoy them. Just not all the hastles. What do you think? Should I get the club started back again???

ssgramma 03-01-2011 05:49 AM

Not unless the location rotates so that you don't have all the cleanup!

quilter1943 03-01-2011 05:52 AM

WOW! What a group. Why don't you find a church fellowship hall or library room, some place other than your home to meet. Set some guidelines. If you're close to one of the ladies, maybe you could do it together.

pocoellie 03-01-2011 05:54 AM

Personally speaking, I wouldn't. If you want to though, do as ssgramma suggests.

Raggiemom 03-01-2011 05:55 AM

I would suggest rotating homes between all the ladies or find a room maybe at a quilt shop or something where you could meet monthly. How about printing a schedule of who's responsible for what and handing it out? If you think you would enjoy doing it again, by all means you should do it. Maybe some of the ladies who want to start it back up would have some suggestions how to make it work more smoothly.

CarrieAnne 03-01-2011 05:55 AM

I like ssgrammas idea, make it on a rotating location!

sueisallaboutquilts 03-01-2011 05:55 AM

From your description it sounds like some rules need to be set down.
Problem 1: Some people only showed up when their quilt was in the frame.
Problem 2: One person showed up drunk (not a good sign at lunchtime!)
Problem 3: Not rotating homes.
Problem 4: You didn't get to work on anything for you.
Problem 5: People forgetting who's supposed to bring lunch.

Unless these issues can be resolved I would either find another group or not start it up again!!!

SuzyQ 03-01-2011 05:58 AM

I agree with rotating locations or a public room and everyone bring their own lunch. I think I'd also have everyone work on their own project. Good luck

Susan

susie-susie-susie 03-01-2011 05:58 AM

If you decide to start meeting again, I agree with ssgramma, you need to find somewhere other than someone's house to meet. Also, I think you all need to work on your own projects that way no one will need to be so critical of others work. Then they need to take their projects home. It seems like they took advantage of you.
Sue

Holice 03-01-2011 06:03 AM

If there is interest from others to start it up then let them do it. You need to enjoy the group and not have all the responsibility.