Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I start quilting club back up??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-start-quilting-club-back-up-t104038.html)

redmadder 03-01-2011 07:44 AM

Its too bad about the bee part. But that's the way it always goes. Limit your quilt frame to charity projects. And find a public hall. Quilting bees were always about socializing, hope it works out.

Shelley 03-01-2011 08:21 AM

I belong to a group that meets weekly. We meet in the basement of a former church - my studio is upstairs. We all bring our own lunches each week, except the last meeting of the month and that one is potluck. We all work on our own projects, charity quilts or raffle quilts for local organizations. I've belonged for over 3 years and thoroughly enjoy the group.

No one has shown up drunk... (OMG!!!)

fabric lover 03-01-2011 04:27 PM

Of course they want the group to start up again :-), they didn't have to do anything but enjoy their 'day out'.
I agree with the others, rotate, talk about rules and perhaps only 1 bee every 2 weeks?

ktmo815 03-01-2011 04:42 PM

I agree with rules - I have never belonged to a quilt club - I don't even know if there is one nearby - I'm new at this - but I would think everyone should contribute equally.

Originally Posted by lovingmama

Originally Posted by quilter1943
WOW! What a group. Why don't you find a church fellowship hall or library room, some place other than your home to meet. Set some guidelines. If you're close to one of the ladies, maybe you could do it together.

I agree with this one, you need to set rules. Otherwise set up hidden cameras, so they can see their behavior.

May be this could be a start of something else, a TV show in the coming. :P

Quilting Ladies behaving badly!

I'm sorry, don't want to put oil into your fire. I wish I had a group to go to and quilt. It's a wonderful idea.

Now you know what could go wrong, so set the limits. Be honest, this is not a get together to loose manners or for having bad attitude.

They would let you know should you do this to them.

#1piecemaker 03-01-2011 04:47 PM

I thank you all for your comments. You've all had some good suggestions and comments. If I do decide to do this again, I think I'll suggest rotating houses and meals. I think working on our own projects would work out better too. that way if one person didn't carry their own weight, it wouldn't matter. The whole idea was to have time with friends soing something we all enjoy, sharing ideas and patterns, books and new ways of doing things and having fun together.

luckylindy333 03-01-2011 04:50 PM

I would find a different group of friends.

MadQuilter 03-01-2011 04:53 PM

Once a week might be too often, but if you enjoy the company then you could try to organize a new club. WITH RULES!

#1piecemaker 03-01-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
I would find a different group of friends.

You are probably right!!!

BellaBoo 03-01-2011 04:56 PM

I would say I'd love to re group but not at my house and everyone brings their own lunch. I'd not ask the drunk to re join, she sounds dangerous and a law suit waiting to happen.

Rntraveler 03-01-2011 04:56 PM

I read about a group that would meet one evening every couple of weeks, usually a Friday. No dinner but they did take turns with a dessert of some sort.. the hostess would have it at her house each time but not weekly.
Weekly would be too much for me even if I was going to someone else's. The gal that played hostess had a large table and everyone brought their machine and they work on their own projects.. sounded like they enjoyed the group and the evening..