Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-t213677.html)

MargeD 02-14-2013 10:54 AM

With the price of fabric, buy it, especially backing and background fabric, which goes quickly. When I find a good sale on fabric, I try to stock up on white and beige tone on tone fabrics for backgrounds, as well as backings for a quilt. The exception would be like a backing fabric deciding that it wants center stage to become the focal fabric in a new quilt. You have to listen to the fabric, right???

newbiequilter 02-14-2013 10:57 AM

I have been on a self-imposed fabric buying moratorium since Jan 1, 2013.....but....but....but....I ran across a deal I could not pass up. LQS quality fabric (actually from a closed fabric store) in nice big chunks at a really good price. 21 yds for $83. I had to stop there but I am seriously thinking about going back for some more....a lot of neutrals.....calling to me....

solstice3 02-14-2013 11:41 AM

If it is a rare sale and you really need some stuff...get it. Don't buy for the sake of buying... I think that is a fair compromise

DOTTYMO 02-14-2013 11:44 AM

Be prepared . Buy for your next projects just in case you are locked at home.

ArchaicArcane 02-14-2013 03:50 PM

Hi Ladies! I'm peeking my head out of the vintage machines area for this...

One thing that's worth mentioning about Fabricland is that these sales happen several times a year. Why? Their prices are so jacked up that "everyone" knows that you never buy from Fabricland unless it's on sale. A really good couple of examples:

I was in a LQS today, they were having an outlet sale, I looked at their regular prices and the sale prices. (Note, I'm a new enough quilter I'm not a moratorium for fabric)

Batiks: $16 on sale for $8 if you bought more than 2m (FL price $18 - $22 and rarely on sale, and not for this sale.)
Quilt Cotton: $15 - 18 on sale for $7 or $5 for more than 2m. (FL price $18 -25)
Klutz glove: $26.99 regular price. (FL price $42)
Fons and Porter Quilting Gloves: $5.75 (FL - $8.99)
Olfa 24x36 cutting mat: $70 (FL $129.99)
Schmetz Quilting needles: $4.75 (FL price over $8.)

Sort makes it easy to see how they can have these "sales" eh? Since I became a dealer for a major supplier in Canada, I've been even more disgusted with FL now that I've seen "wholesale" prices. I still have a membership, because I can't order fabric from my supplier, but that may soon come from over the border, or the LQS, since the prices are way better.

Tabatha 02-14-2013 04:20 PM

I know what the selection is like at Fabricland, not great and often not worth it. If you can find DESIGNER quilting cottons at that price then go for it. DO NOT buy Fabricland brand fabrics!! They are often off grain and can not be straightened, they are the cheapest of the cheap!!

ArchaicArcane 02-14-2013 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tabatha (Post 5861756)
I know what the selection is like at Fabricland, not great and often not worth it. If you can find DESIGNER quilting cottons at that price then go for it. DO NOT buy Fabricland brand fabrics!! They are often off grain and can not be straightened, they are the cheapest of the cheap!!

And the last "blenders" I bought at FL didn't blend because they had an uneven dye to them. Ugh. Beige was green in some spots and red was orange, and not where I would have seen it unless I'd inspected both sides before they cut it.

TX GMimi 02-14-2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 5857000)
I've been on a fabric feeze since July 2012. I would break my non buying fabric streak in a heartbeat if I had this opportunity!

I've already broken my to promise to myself not to buy any fabric this year. A cute LQS is closing so the owner can return to college to pursue her dream of becoming a nurse. How could you not buy her fabrics? Have to help her, right?! I'll try to be better - maybe - next time!! :) :)

Jannie 02-14-2013 07:22 PM

Never seen a sale that good. Probably a good thing because I wouldn't be able to pass up such a good deal.

meldmac 02-14-2013 09:18 PM

Well I caved and bought 6 meters of fabric to make a lap quilt. Will be my next project after the quilt for my son.