Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me About Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-about-hand-quilting-t80405.html)

MadQuilter 12-03-2010 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
I actually use my fingernail until I get too many holes in it

That reminds me: Spit gets blood out of fabric. So does Peroxide and so does Oxy-clean. Important to know!

sewingladydi 12-03-2010 03:46 PM

Thanks, MadQuilter. I'll look for your tutorial

Willa 12-03-2010 04:02 PM

Is there a church by you that does quilting? I bet they'd let you help. I did my first hand quilting there and I was in my mid teens. The ladies there were soooo helpful and encouraging. Even though I was slow they kept telling me to come back.

fleurdelisquilts.com 12-03-2010 04:11 PM

My only addition to all this is that I love hand quilting and I find it to be the most relaxing activity I have ever tried. I can not hand quilt without taking a nap! It was also very theraputic when my mom was so sick. I would bring a quilt to work on while I sat with her. I didn't nap as much, but I found that it helped me to keep calm despite the stress of knowing that she was dying. Now when I get very sad thinking of her, I remember that she taught me to quilt (among so many other things) and am grateful that I was so lucky to have been her daughter. Then I pick up a needle and quilt while I pray a rosary for her.

Up North 12-03-2010 06:12 PM

My stitches are uneven but it still looks good to me! I use an 18 inch hoop on my lap keep it up and you get better at it. It is relaxing and a satisfying experience to see the completed quilt. My first quilt (my avatar was all hand quilted), I was determine to do it and I did!!

glassnquilts 12-03-2010 06:22 PM

I hand quilt and I don't use a frame. I safety pin the daylights out of it to baste. It is very calming to me.

ladydi64 12-04-2010 04:30 AM

That's what I do I safety pin it from the middle out and I start hand quilting from the middle out, that way I get all the wrinkles out and I don't run into a problem when I get to the edge of the quilt. I made a very big mistake when I was first starting out I bound the quilt before I starting hand quilting ran into a lot of problems doing that. Now the last thing I do is bind the quilt after I have hand quilted it.

quilterella 12-04-2010 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
I'm curious about what's involved. Tell me anything you want to. I'm intrigued by the theraputic qualities. :)

I always thought I would like to do this, I have been working on a Sasiko for 4 yrs(preprinted) which I do enjoy, but to do a quilt, ummm, I just can't make myself sit down and finish it that way, I want it finishes, so one the machine it goes. I guess patience isn't one of my better virtues...LOL

illinois 12-04-2010 04:53 AM

Love to hand quilt but it gets my back. Found one of those bendy wire and mesh devices at Dollar Tree and it is fantastic ! They call it a lumbar support, I think. Now if I can just work the ouch out of my neck and shoulders from working at the machine. It is in a cabinet and I wonder if I'm leaning forward too much. Anyone have a suggestion on that one?

pittsburgpam 12-04-2010 05:07 AM

I have a Grace Z44 hand quilting frame and it was such a relief to not have to layer and baste for hand quilting. I like the plastic thimble that has a fingernail on it and a small dent in the middle for the needle. I use Betweens needles, I think that is a 10 but not sure without looking.

I also use the little round of bees wax to run the thread over. It helps with not tangling the thread and goes smoother.