Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me About Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-about-hand-quilting-t80405.html)

judykay 12-04-2010 08:31 AM

Why do you suggest not rocking the needle?

sewingladydi 12-04-2010 08:39 AM

You don't rock the needle if you are using the "Aunt Becky".
It's a small metal piece that goes on the finger under the quilt and you push the needle towards "Aunt Becky".

It's hard to explain. There's a youtube video that demonstrates it-type "Jean's Hand quilting" in the youtube search box and the video will come up.

judykay 12-04-2010 08:45 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I do not use the Aunt Becky so I guess I am ok in rocky my needle.

MommaDorian 12-04-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by judykay
Why do you suggest not rocking the needle?

What does rocking your needle mean?

trupeach1 12-04-2010 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca
i love my leather thimbles - i use a coin thimble - it has a piece of metal at the finger tip - keeps the needle from going thru the thimble

i prefer to use warm & natural batting and cotton thread - fav thread is YLI glazed cotton. Don't like quilting thru poly batting or using a polyester thread. Just personal preference.

Even stitches are more important than teeny tiny stitches that aren't even. I think the tinier stitches will come as you quilt more.

I know it takes a while to complete a project - but that's ok w/ me

While I was reading this I thought MY WORD it could have been written by me.

Ditto to all of the above.

ganny 12-04-2010 03:32 PM

I have quilted for over 20 years and am self-taught. I have learned that I like #10 needle (no bending or breaking) and use hand quilting thread (stronger and no tangling); I have tried soooo many thimbles (I'm thimble poor) but liked none, I would suffer with the terribly sore fingers until I would have to stop quilting to wait for them to heal. But now I use cut-off rubber finger tips from Staples on my thumb and middle finger of sewing hand and the Diamond Thimble on my hand under the quilt to guide the needle which works great for me. I used to pin my layers for quilting but I have discovered the spray adhesive which is wonderful. I discovered that there are no quilting police in my house, so I don't worry about teeny stitches, just small and even. I also have broken the law and use solid-colored material if I choose (not often, but I do sometimes). I even made a whole quilt in all solid colors, which turned out beautifully. I use a large wooden frame on wheels that tilts which eases body tension. I can quilt now for as long as I want with no pain. I have to force myself to quit sewing to work in my Bible reading, eating and sleeping in. :)

lberna 12-04-2010 03:48 PM

I also use a latex "finger". I buy cheap latex gloves (the type that you see in doctor's exam room) at the dollar store. I cut out the three larger fingers and put one on my pointer finger. I use a metal thimble with a lip on my middle finger. On my underneath finger, I use Marian's Magic Quilting Thimble (from Clotilde). I can quilt for hours with no sore fingers.

Spring 12-04-2010 03:49 PM

I was so excited to see this topic. I was dancing in my chair! I really want to learn to hand quilt. I do a lot of hand embroidery and smocking so why not. Honestly quilting my quilts by hand are the only way they are going to look decent. My machine quilting seems to be getting worse with practice. I have a vintage sheet quilt all cut out just waiting for the time to sew that baby together! Then Im going to hand quilt it and see if it looks any better...lol
Thank you all for all your advise! Oh Im so excited!

jitkaau 12-04-2010 06:39 PM

You use needles called 'betweens' - usually size 9 and you stab the threaded needle straight down into the fabric and rock it back up again so that you can stab it straight down again after you bring it up again. It is best if you can watch a demonstration from a skilled quilter, to get the correct starting and finishing of the thread. The important thing is to keep the running stitches that you make at an even length and evenly spaced apart. You will become more refined with practice. To start, you will need a thimble,a set of betweens,sharp embroidery scissors,hand quilting thread, a nub of beeswax and a quilting hoop.The thread is pulled through the beeswax to make it more easily pulled through the quilt.Some people don't like using it as it can mark the quilt a little, so they use specialty hand quilting thread that is pre - coated.
When you begin, you hide the beginning of the thread in between the layers of the quilt by knotting the end of the thread and inserting from the top, a little way away from where you are beginning to quilt. After you have brought the needle up in your starting position, you give a little tug on the thread so that the knot pops through the material into the sandwich of your quilt and is buried there. You finish off by making a double stitch in your last place, knot the thread and pop it into the sandwich in the same way. All the best!

sewingladydi 12-04-2010 08:15 PM

When I have to quilt thru multiple layers (like seam allowances) I do 1 stitch at a time, also called stab stitch. If I try to rock and do multiple stitches in those bulky areas, the stitches are too big.

Try to plan your quilting design to avoid seams when possible. On my first quilt (an irish chain), I hand stitched in the larger center areas and stitched in the ditch on my machine for the other areas so I didn't have to quilt thru all those seam allowances.

I've also heard if you quilt on the bias, it is easier. I'm grid quilting a table topper (on the bias)right now and it does seem to be going really well. But that may also be the wool batting.