Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me About Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-about-hand-quilting-t80405.html)

quiltedgarden 12-04-2010 11:11 PM

I am trying to learn Aunt Becky. Did it take you a little while to master the tripod hold on the needle and thimble? Also I am not sure I have the right size thimble from Jean Brown. Thanks for any comments.

Borntohandquilt 12-05-2010 01:51 AM

For me hand quiltig is an independent craft. It can be combined with piecing and appliqué in a wonderful way, but it also can stand on it's own.
Hand quilting is like hand writing - every quilter has her/his personal way of doing it, there is no right or wrong, what works good for you may not work for others. The result is that counts.

mpspeedy 12-05-2010 04:25 AM

Andrea said it all. My favorite quilt is a wholecloth one. I love to purchase what we call "cheater's cloth" preprinted fabrics that look like a pieced or appliqued work. By the time I handquilt the piece it looks just like a pieced or appliqued work. I use a leather thimble on both my right middle finger and my left thumb. I also taught myself to quilt with both hands. When using a stationary frame it is the only way to comfortably quilt from left to right. I guess I was able to master the technique because I both learned to play the piano and touch type. Both skills call for using both hands equally.
In my youth I used size 12 in-betweens. Now I am forced to use at least a 9. I like my needles short and thin. Handquilting is sort of a zen thing. I can carry on a conversation, watch TV or a movie or just listen to the radio. I certainly can't do most of those things while machine quilting. It is also portable if it is a small project. I always pack a small project when traveling.

ganny 12-05-2010 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
For me hand quiltig is an independent craft. It can be combined with piecing and appliqué in a wonderful way, but it also can stand on it's own.
Hand quilting is like hand writing - every quilter has her/his personal way of doing it, there is no right or wrong, what works good for you may not work for others. The result is that counts.

I certainly agree with you. There is nothing that takes the place of hand quilting. To me, no rules apply because it is your own masterpiece and there will be no other like it.

ganny 12-05-2010 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by lberna
I also use a latex "finger". I buy cheap latex gloves (the type that you see in doctor's exam room) at the dollar store. I cut out the three larger fingers and put one on my pointer finger. I use a metal thimble with a lip on my middle finger. On my underneath finger, I use Marian's Magic Quilting Thimble (from Clotilde). I can quilt for hours with no sore fingers.

I have a Marian's Magic Quilting Thimble but could not master it. I now use Diamond Thimbles.

ganny 12-05-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedgarden
I am trying to learn Aunt Becky. Did it take you a little while to master the tripod hold on the needle and thimble? Also I am not sure I have the right size thimble from Jean Brown. Thanks for any comments.

What is the world is Aunt Becky? Or is it "Who is she?"

lberna 12-05-2010 02:05 PM

I will look into diamond thimbles. I have never heard of it. Thanks. Always looking for something better.

lberna 12-05-2010 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ganny

I also use a latex "finger". I buy cheap latex gloves (the type that you see in doctor's exam room) at the dollar store. I cut out the three larger fingers and put one on my pointer finger. I use a metal thimble with a lip on my middle finger. On my underneath finger, I use Marian's Magic Quilting Thimble (from Clotilde). I can quilt for hours with no sore fingers.

I have a Marian's Magic Quilting Thimble but could not master it. I now use Diamond Thimbles.

Do you use Diamond Thimbles on the underneath finger? where did you buy this thimble. I searched the Internet and one I found is for a finger that is used on top of the quilt.

quiltin chris 12-05-2010 03:24 PM

I have found that I really enjoy hand quilting. I pin baste the heck out of whatever I am going to quilt. Then I sit in the living room and hand quilt and watch TV with my DH.

I continually work to find methods to make my quilting stitches look better. I don't use a hoop or a frame, I just have it in my lap and stitch, stitch, stitch til bedtime.
Course I gotta get up off the couch every once in a while if I want to be able to walk to the bedroom when it is bedtime. Gettin' older you know!!

I own a hinterberg quilting frame-haven't used it for a long time, my DH bought me a used Grace frame--no place to set it up now, also have a Qsnap quilting frame--have used that the most.

Chris

ganny 12-05-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ganny

Do you use Diamond Thimbles on the underneath finger? where did you buy this thimble. I searched the Internet and one I found is for a finger that is used on top of the quilt.

Yes, the underneath finger. Took me a little bit to master it, but I use it most of the time now. I got it at Clotilde. It is a little blue semi-soft thimble.