Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tell Me About Hand Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tell-me-about-hand-quilting-t80405.html)

lberna 12-05-2010 04:20 PM

Thank you for the info.

AnneSmith 12-05-2010 04:30 PM

I hand quilt without thimbles; I find using thimbles makes my stitches uneven and too large. I suffer the sore fingers for a day or two until I can quilt again. I took a lesson on a Gammill Longarm at a local shop and then rented time in order to get my four quilts ready for this Christmas. Finished last weekend. Whew! Working on potholders now, using up the leftover cotton batting.

grandma Janice 12-05-2010 07:54 PM

I will always hand quilt. There's just something satisfying in finishing a quilt that is your own handwork creation. I guess that's the old school in me. It's calming and I don't get stressed out. I use a large oval hoop that is on a stand. I pin from the center out and quilt the same way. I have done some large quilts like this. I use several kinds of thimbles. try till you find what works for you. I use 9 betweens and hand quilting thread.

dublb 12-05-2010 09:13 PM

Oh man, I could go on & on & on & on about hand quilting!! It's definitely my first love in the quilting world. I'm learning to piece & Sid on the sewing machine. I've got a great stash going & 'am planning my sewing studio. I'm behind in collecting sewing machines ( I've only got 7, OK 5 'cause I gave 2 to DD! LOL.) But my true love is Hand Quilting! I've always got a project going. With my large extended family it seems that someone's always in the hospital. I can't tell you how much time I've spent in various waiting rooms & patient rooms quilting!
I encourage anyone who is interested to pick up a needle & go for it!

ganny 12-06-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnneSmith
I hand quilt without thimbles; I find using thimbles makes my stitches uneven and too large. I suffer the sore fingers for a day or two until I can quilt again. I took a lesson on a Gammill Longarm at a local shop and then rented time in order to get my four quilts ready for this Christmas. Finished last weekend. Whew! Working on potholders now, using up the leftover cotton batting.

For years, I hand quilted without thimbles and had to suffer the sore fingers. But in my older years, I seem to be less tolerant of the sore and then calloused fingers. I have adapted to certain thimbles.

ganny 12-06-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
Oh man, I could go on & on & on & on about hand quilting!! It's definitely my first love in the quilting world. I'm learning to piece & Sid on the sewing machine. I've got a great stash going & 'am planning my sewing studio. I'm behind in collecting sewing machines ( I've only got 7, OK 5 'cause I gave 2 to DD! LOL.) But my true love is Hand Quilting! I've always got a project going. With my large extended family it seems that someone's always in the hospital. I can't tell you how much time I've spent in various waiting rooms & patient rooms quilting!
I encourage anyone who is interested to pick up a needle & go for it!

Ditto!

mayday 12-10-2010 10:21 AM

could NEVER EVER machine quilt, wash fabric before quilting/ bat the sharonschamber way, nothing better.
I like both warm and natural batting but not as much loft as poly which I find easier to quilt.
if you don't want to piece either buy quilt top or a " cheater" fabric or super patterned one and qulit around pattern .
the joy of hand quilting is that it can be done and carried anywhere, not just stuck in a room over a machine, I quilt in an armchair with quilt draped over a trolley if required and by the wood burner and listen to talking books./watch tv/have music on AND relax.

JeanDal 12-10-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
.....I'm intrigued by the theraputic qualities. :)

Brain wave studies have been done on handquilters that show one often gets into a state that's the same as meditation. :-)

Jan in VA

Now that's what I'm talking about. :D

You know it! :thumbup: