Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those of you that embroidery..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-you-embroidery-t235640.html)

Pennyhal 11-28-2013 10:49 AM

I stored my threads so well that I can't find them!

davis2se 11-28-2013 11:22 AM

I have 2 of the really large (maybe 60 spools) thread boards - the kind that can stand on a table or be hung on the wall. I hung them one under the other on my wall and have my thread arranged by color. But, the spaces between the pegs that the spools sit on are not quite wide enough to accommodate the thread spool bases, so I stagger the spools, on top side up, one top side down, etc.

ro 11-28-2013 11:28 AM

pennyhal you made me chuckle. if i clean up, i'll never find it again. so the answer is......don't clean up. have a great thanksgiving.

Plumtree 11-28-2013 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted mine to hang on wall but because we live in rental hubby was none too pleased with that thought. He has a 3D printer and printed up some spool holders that stick with the 3M strips so they come off and leave no mark. Sorry for the horrible color my walls are tan and the light seems yellowish.

Barb in Louisiana 11-28-2013 07:02 PM

I use the craft boxes from Joann's with the good handles and catches. My thread won't sit on the small thread spools in the box so I just discard those.

I mainly buy the 1100 meter cones in sets. I keep the sets separate, and label the boxes as 1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3 and the name and type of the thread. I travel in a motorhome & take my sewing/embroider combo with me. It's very convenient to be able to pick up the 3 boxes and know I can make just about any pattern.

elaine708 11-29-2013 12:26 AM

I use a cabinet for mine. Flat file cabinets work great for threads as well as hoops and stabilizers.

bjeriann 11-29-2013 12:44 AM

I use the thread holders that hang on the wall or can set on a shelf. I hang them on the inside of my closet. They stay clean and out of the sun.

weezie 11-29-2013 04:58 AM

I have a lot of embroidery thread; the different sizes/brands either came in storage cases or I bought specific sized cases for them when I bought the thread. The biggest cones (5000m) I store in 2 large plastic boxes under my bed. If you buy Madeira thread already in storage units, such as the 3-drawer one that is advertised a lot, the thread is color sorted and that sort of gives me fits when I'm looking for a specific numbered thread; therefore, all the rest of my thread (which is most of it) I have sorted by number. I have typed sheets of the color numbers and where they are stored, so when I pull the colors for a design, I check the sheets to see if (a) I own that color and (b) where it is stored. I can't emphasize enough how much time that saves me.

sap 11-29-2013 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 6427797)
How / where do you store all your thread?
Pics would be helpful!
Thanks,
Happy Thanksgiving

I have always kept my threads in a suitcase, out of any kind of light and dust. Sure it can be a bugger some times, but The wooden spools still have thread that is good and strong.

Bonnie 11-29-2013 05:16 AM

Picked mine up at Wal-Mart, individual spools and lidded to keep the dust out (not to admit that I have any dust). Cost a few years ago was 5.00 each. A friend used the plastic boxes for the little cars and they worked good too. The ones at the craft stores are just too expensive.....