Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those of you that embroidery..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-you-embroidery-t235640.html)

LAQUITA 11-27-2013 07:20 PM

For those of you that embroidery.....

How / where do you store all your thread?
Pics would be helpful!
Thanks,
Happy Thanksgiving

ann31039 11-27-2013 08:06 PM

I use plastic drawer units. The ones for scrapbooking paper hold the small ones and the deeper drawers hold full sized ones. I had the stands and they worked, but your thread gets all dusty.

mpspeedy2 11-28-2013 05:35 AM

I have most of mine stored in plastic lidded boxes made for that purpose. They have pins to hold each spool. I also have an antique cabinet with 6 shallow drawers that are just right for the skinny spools to lay down in. It even has a little window on the front of each side of the long drawer that holds a little card to indicate what color thread is in their section. I probably have a thread collection that cost a thousand or more dollars. I don't embroidery nearly as much as I used to. I will admit I am lazy and hate to keep changing the thread. I have gotten in the habit of using variegated thread for most of the embroidery work I do now. My youngest grandchildren are now 16 and I have given up hope that I will have any grandchildren from our youngest daughter. Most of my clothing that I embroidered over the years I am still wearing. I actually own two stand alone embroidery machines. The first is Bernina's original one and the second is a Brother that uses the same PES format. I have a small fortune tied up in software some of which I have never used. I don't care for sewing machines that can be converted to embroidery as I can not sew while they are doing that task. With my present set up I can be embroidering two things while still sewing on something else.

mighty 11-28-2013 07:15 AM

I use a plastic drawer unit.

LTeachergeorge 11-28-2013 07:37 AM

I'm not so organized as many, uh -- most, members of the board, but I keep mine sorted by maker (Robinson Anton, Sulkey, etc.) in zip lock bags. I usually just choose colors by sight, unless I'm doing counted cross stitch.

Linda in Missouri

tessagin 11-28-2013 07:59 AM

I have only ever hand embroidered and purchase an organizer specifically for that. Tried to come up with something different but for the money and time saved, I just purchase the organizer inserts.

newbee3 11-28-2013 08:49 AM

I keep all my threads in drawers I have a filing cabinet that has drawes in it. I keep my regular sewing thread in my sewing cabinet. I also have some plastic drawers I picked up at salvation army that I use for my quilting thread. I also keep all my fabric in cabinet or on shelves in totes plus there are doors on the cabinets and a curtain on the shelf to keep out the light.

fairydawn 11-28-2013 09:10 AM

I have mine on a wall rack that I keep next to my machine.

RedGarnet222 11-28-2013 09:53 AM

I use a five drawer plastic unit that I bought at walmart. I also buy the connecting threads quilting thread so I had to have a couple drawers for that.

lynnie 11-28-2013 10:18 AM

they make plastic carries with slots to put your wound thread in you wrap your threads onto 1" x1" plastic bobbins and then put about 5 of theminto the slot. I got mine about 20 yrs ago at a crafatstore