Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thoughts on this PP? Tips needed and appreciated :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thoughts-pp-tips-needed-appreciated-t66505.html)

Bobbin along 09-24-2010 08:19 AM

Another thought--just use some colored pencils on the pattern, color a small area on each pattern piece of what color you want it to be, and then you don't have to pay attention to those symbols. Just watch the piecing order and section numbers. (I think I'm rambling on, here. sorry!) :roll:

Quilter7x 09-24-2010 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Another thought--just use some colorad pencils on the pattern, color a small area on each pattern piece of what color you want it to be, and then you don't have to pay attention to those symbols. Just watch the piecing order and section numbers. (I think I'm rambling on, here. sorry!) :roll:

Oooooh, I love this idea! PP has always confused me, but I love the beautiful outcome. I'm going to keep this in mind for when I do a PP project. Thanks! :D

marymm 09-24-2010 08:48 AM

One more idea....Check out this site...Learn how to paper piece (also called foundation piecing) with this quilting tutorial and free pattern from www.YouCanMakeThis.com and www.YouCanQuiltThis.com. Download the pattern and step-by-step instructions at either website.

You could make this block rather quickly. It's a tree. You could turn the one block into a pot holder! Then you'd be more comfortable with the process and try the other.

littlehud 09-24-2010 09:56 AM

That is a darling pattern. I haven't tried PP before but would like to try that on. Keep us posted on your progress.

moonangel12 09-24-2010 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Another thought--just use some colored pencils on the pattern, color a small area on each pattern piece of what color you want it to be, and then you don't have to pay attention to those symbols. Just watch the piecing order and section numbers. (I think I'm rambling on, here. sorry!) :roll:

That's what I was thinking about trying... with 2 LOs running around, there is no shortage of coloring objects in our house. I think I am going to take enlarge it for my first try so that I won't be working with such small pieces.

I plan on making the ground white, and adding bead/button ornaments to the tree, and seed bead "lights" to the house to give it that Christmas-y feel.

hoppyfrog 09-24-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by moonangel12

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
I had the same problem, just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the concept of sewing on the wrong side of the paper with the fabric on the wrong side as well. :shock: I was like huh? You want me to do what? :shock:
I finally had a friend sit down with me and she had me sew a simple log cabin block with her instructing me. I felt so stupid afterwards because it turned out to be so simple.
My advice is to either have a quilting friend show you or stop by a quilting shop on their open sew time and ask for help. Just have everything with you and I'm sure they would be happy to help.
Hope this helps. :lol:
Faith :XD:

I think you just turned the light bulb on with your comment about the wrong side of the paper and the wrong side of the fabric! I think that's what was confusing me, I just didn't understand how it worked, but I never realized that little detail! Duh! I really think my kids have sucked every living brain cell out of my head! It's such a simple concept I guess, but I just couldn't wrap my brain around it... sheesh :roll:

I don't mean to butt in but it sounds like you're doing it backwards. The paper has to be right side up so you can sew on the lines. The first piece of fabric is placed right side out so when you're looking at the backside of the paper you see the right side. All of the other pieces are wrong side up when you look at the back of the square. After you sew the seam you flip piece #2 and then it's right side out too. Quilter's Cashe has some PP tutorials that might help explain it better than I tried to. Hope I've helped and not confused everyone.

moonangel12 09-24-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by hoppyfrog

Originally Posted by moonangel12

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
I had the same problem, just couldn't seem to wrap my head around the concept of sewing on the wrong side of the paper with the fabric on the wrong side as well. :shock: I was like huh? You want me to do what? :shock:
I finally had a friend sit down with me and she had me sew a simple log cabin block with her instructing me. I felt so stupid afterwards because it turned out to be so simple.
My advice is to either have a quilting friend show you or stop by a quilting shop on their open sew time and ask for help. Just have everything with you and I'm sure they would be happy to help.
Hope this helps. :lol:
Faith :XD:

I think you just turned the light bulb on with your comment about the wrong side of the paper and the wrong side of the fabric! I think that's what was confusing me, I just didn't understand how it worked, but I never realized that little detail! Duh! I really think my kids have sucked every living brain cell out of my head! It's such a simple concept I guess, but I just couldn't wrap my brain around it... sheesh :roll:

I don't mean to butt in but it sounds like you're doing it backwards. The paper has to be right side up so you can sew on the lines. The first piece of fabric is placed right side out so when you're looking at the backside of the paper you see the right side. All of the other pieces are wrong side up when you look at the back of the square. After you sew the seam you flip piece #2 and then it's right side out too. Quilter's Cashe has some PP tutorials that might help explain it better than I tried to. Hope I've helped and not confused everyone.

I *think* you guys are saying the same thing, just different ways... I think???

Lori S 09-24-2010 12:16 PM

Hoppyfrog - You are correct ....the point is to have the line on the paper to sew on. The fabric is always down and the paper is what you can see while sewing with the printed lines on the paper as the guide.

sylviak 09-24-2010 12:21 PM

I printed off the Quilter's Cache tutorial and use it to get started if I haven't done PP in awhile. The hardest part for me is making sure the next piece is the right size to cover the area. I always check before I sew.

hoppyfrog 09-24-2010 12:23 PM

PP is my main type of block making. I'll go so far as to convert a regular pieced block to PP block any day. You can't get sharp points on stars any easier way in my book. But watch out once you get the hang of it it's very additive