Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tip-toe-through-hexagons-cutie-style-cutting-t35685.html)

cutebuns 09-14-2010 10:45 AM

THe one that I used to demo is still sitting here, not done yet, I of course like any good quilter got sidetracked, I have finished a couple of other quilts, this one just isn't a priority, what I will do is find an all over design that I like and use it, though a simple stipple or swirl type one is easy and fast to do, I have recently seen where they do two separate all over designs together and may use this quilt to see about where that can take me,

plainpat 10-02-2010 01:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my fabric cut, thanks to your directions...here's a pic of fabric & fabric lined up.My avatar shows several as they look
before sewing in halves.Still have more to do, but have run out of steam.For one thing I don't care for the fabric & no way I want a quilt of it.Plan to do a table runner or wall hanging.

Originally Posted by cutebuns
Since I don't want a huge quilt, I am going to use 12 of the repeats, so I am going to count 12 and cut an inch or two longer just to make sure I get the full repeat in,

fireworkslover 10-02-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
I got my fabric cut, thanks to your directions...here's a pic of fabric & fabric lined up.My avatar shows several as they look
before sewing in halves.Still have more to do, but have run out of steam.For one thing I don't care for the fabric & no way I want a quilt of it.Plan to do a table runner or wall hanging.

Since I don't want a huge quilt, I am going to use 12 of the repeats, so I am going to count 12 and cut an inch or two longer just to make sure I get the full repeat in,

Having fabric that you don't care for after you've got it cut into strips & half hex's happened to me too. Those half hex's have been sitting in a pile for over a year now. My intention, was like yours, to make them into a table runner, but that hasn't happened yet.

plainpat 10-02-2010 05:44 AM

Big part of the problem for me is trying to work with fabric I don't like.It's good stuff,Moda & I have a bunch of it.....but just don't like it for OBW.No sense in cutting more & more.Can't force myself to work with fabric or patterns I don't like.You would think I could figure this stuff out before buying books/fabric/rulers?

Originally Posted by fireworkslover

Having fabric that you don't care for after you've got it cut into strips & half hex's happened to me too. Those half hex's have been sitting in a pile for over a year now. My intention, was like yours, to make them into a table runner, but that hasn't happened yet.

cutebuns 10-02-2010 10:32 AM

Maybe someone else would lime to finish the projects for you then. Package them up and mail them off and you don't have to look at it again.

plainpat 10-02-2010 11:02 AM

I was playing with the hexagons & knew there was no way they'd be as pretty as all the ones posted in pics.Was afraid to use diff fabric...in case I ended up with 2 bunches. :D

Maybe using one as a center with borders would make a table topper. Not sure...might be too small.

salmonsweet 10-02-2010 12:16 PM

I was playing with the hexagons & knew there was no way they'd be as pretty as all the ones posted in pics.Was afraid to use diff fabric...in case I ended up with 2 bunches. :D

Maybe using one as a center with borders would make a table topper. Not sure...might be too small.

Justme2, I just love your fabric (would you let us know which one it is?) and the blocks you show in your avatar. :shock: Would love to see it finished. It's so intricate and I think the shapes really lend themselves to the OBW block design. But it's up to you of course, whatever gives you joy.

I'm just posting this because I started intensely disliking my Amber OBW while I was working on it, but I'm so glad now that I kept going with it. Putting it away for a while helped, also the encouragement from the wonderful ladies on this board. I'll be stitching the binding on this weekend, can't wait to use it at last.

plainpat 10-02-2010 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you. Haven't decided what I'll do. Will be watching for a pic of yours. Just love seeing pics.So many of you have found a perfect OBW fabric.
Here's the fabric. It's kind of bright, but not that bright!

Originally Posted by salmonsweet

Justme2, I just love your fabric (would you let us know which one it is?) and the blocks you show in your avatar. :shock: Would love to see it finished. It's so intricate and I think the shapes really lend themselves to the OBW block design. But it's up to you of course, whatever gives you joy.

I'm just posting this because I started intensely disliking my Amber OBW while I was working on it, but I'm so glad now that I kept going with it. Putting it away for a while helped, also the encouragement from the wonderful ladies on this board. I'll be stitching the binding on this weekend, can't wait to use it at last.

Lori Peercy 12-27-2010 07:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cutie here are the two I had questions about, how wide to cut strips and such.

cutebuns 12-27-2010 08:04 PM

So when looking at the prints you want to see what will give you the best variation in your blocks. For both I would cut about 2-2 1/2 at the biggest. Most people know how I like small pieces. I would even consider cutting the black and whit a tad bit smaller. If you are still going to do a wall hanging it won't add that much more work.

On florals I usually measure a med sized flower for the size. It is totally subjective to who is working on them. Once you do one or two you get a better idea what to look for choosing prints and cutting sizes.