Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Mega Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-mega-quilter-t53035.html)

doglover 07-05-2010 04:27 PM

I need some serious help. I am having trouble with the mega quilter. The thread keeps breaking and sometimes the needle breaks. I can't keep the tension the same even on the same quilt. I have read previous post and changed thread to Star, it broke worse, Essential, it shredded, Coats and Clark, I won't even go there. It was the worse. I changed needles to top stitch needle and ballpoint needle and that did not help at all. I put tension between 4 and 5 and tension was worse and could not sew 20 stitches without thread breaking. I have used cotton batting and poly-fill batting and that does not make a difference. I watch which side of the batting goes upwards and no difference. The thread keeps breaking. I have had this machine about a year and it has been in the shop and they say there is nothing wrong with the machine. I do have cruise control on this machine and all the connections are connecting and I think they are correct. Any suggestions?

topper1 07-05-2010 04:29 PM

could not be threaded correctly, have someone at dealer show u.

franie 07-05-2010 04:32 PM

What size needle are you using? Change to manual and give it a try. Can you adjust the bobbin tension? Make sure your needle is in right. Try dif tensions before you start a quilt. On my machine the numbers mean nothing as for tension--do 1/4 turn to loosen and go as much as a full turn if you have to. I would say top tension is too tight. Usually to the left loosens it. Also is your bobbin thread thinner than the top maybe? I don't have that machine but most are similar--I have a Tin LIzzie 18LS.

franie 07-05-2010 04:33 PM

I forgot to mention that a friend was having the same prob with her machine--either Pfaff or Janome--and she took of the stitch regulator and she said no more breaking thread.

franie 07-05-2010 04:33 PM

Ya I forgot to mention that one too.

Originally Posted by topper1
could not be threaded correctly, have someone at dealer show u.

doglover 07-05-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by franie
What size needle are you using? Change to manual and give it a try. Can you adjust the bobbin tension? Make sure your needle is in right. Try dif tensions before you start a quilt. On my machine the numbers mean nothing as for tension--do 1/4 turn to loosen and go as much as a full turn if you have to. I would say top tension is too tight. Usually to the left loosens it. Also is your bobbin thread thinner than the top maybe? I don't have that machine but most are similar--I have a Tin LIzzie 18LS.

When I loosen the tension enough that the thread will not break, then I have loose thread on the underside of the quilt and the stitches are too loose to hold. I do have to use the same thread in the bobbin that I use on top. I just put in a new quilting needle this morning with a very large eye hoping that the thread would not break or shred but it still did. The needle was Fons & Porter Quilter's Decorative Thread Needles Size l4/90.

doglover 07-05-2010 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by doglover

When I loosen the tension enough that the thread will not break, then I have loose thread on the underside of the quilt and the stitches are too loose to hold. I do have to use the same thread in the bobbin that I use on top. I just put in a new quilting needle this morning with a very large eye hoping that the thread would not break or shred but it still did. The needle was Fons & Porter Quilter's Decorative Thread Needles Size l4/90.

I test the bobbin tension by holding the thread while it is in the bobbin and shake it a little, if the bobbin only goes down a little, the tension is okay. Is this correct?

I had the manual in front of me today and loaded the needle in with the flat side of the needle against the screw as the picture shows. I also had the manual in front of me as I threaded the machine just to make sure I was doing it correctly. I don't know what I am doing wrong?

Honchey 07-05-2010 04:58 PM

The mega quilter uses a specific needle. For the life of me I can't remember the #. The thread has to go twice thru the guide ( the metal bar that has 3 holes in it.)just before the tension disc.

franie 07-05-2010 05:01 PM

I use nothing smaller than a 18. I think your needle is too small. And get the German brand of needles--ask your dealer what they recommend.

[
When I loosen the tension enough that the thread will not break, then I have loose thread on the underside of the quilt and the stitches are too loose to hold. I do have to use the same thread in the bobbin that I use on top. I just put in a new quilting needle this morning with a very large eye hoping that the thread would not break or shred but it still did. The needle was Fons & Porter Quilter's Decorative Thread Needles Size l4/90.[/quote]

doglover 07-05-2010 05:27 PM

I really don't know what size the dealer recommended. They sold a box of l00 inspira quilting needles but the box did not have a size on it -- just some numbers 6200809-96 if that means anything. I will go out tomorrow and look for German quilting needles size l8 or larger.
Then I will unhook the cruise control and try again.
Any other suggestions.

I use nothing smaller than a 18. I think your needle is too small. And get the German brand of needles--ask your dealer what they recommend.

[

[/quote]