Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   We have some great husbands! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/we-have-some-great-husbands-t63827.html)

raptureready 09-09-2010 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by vanessa
Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.

Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.

sandpat 09-09-2010 06:10 AM

I've got a keeper too! :D: On top of being very supportive, he has a great eye for fabric and design. When I get "stuck" he can sometimes see something that I was looking too hard to see. Its great to have such a great friend right here to help me out!

debbieumphress 09-09-2010 06:14 AM

Ooh Rapture, he needs to go to the bad boy corner. LOL. My DH is so understanding not only of this board and my quilting but to all my other quilting activities. And he stays busy now making Sewing machine lifters for me to sell. He has also made shelves and such for my sewing room and helps me go to the post office, ec. In turn, when I see he is settled in to watch a little tv , I go in there to sit until he falls asleep. Now if he did not go to sleep so early, that may be anotehr issue ROFL. ALl in all he is wonderful.On some of my projects, his saying is (when he doesn't fully like what I do...YOur take off sucks...but the landing is fine. So now he knows to wait to see my finshed projects. LOL. GOtta love them.

lynnie 09-09-2010 06:18 AM

my dh is the best inthe world. he hasn't made anything for me, he's not handy, but he will go to the fab sore with me and even at times when i couldn't he'd go for me.He now golfs, since we moved 3 months ago, but b4 that he didn't mind. we moved to a 2 bedroom condo, and the 2nd bris my sewing crafts room. isn't he swet

dakotamaid 09-09-2010 06:27 AM

MY SIL's sewing room has a recliner and TV for her hubby! Of course he had to move her sewing room into another room to make room for him! LOL,

ruacajun2 09-09-2010 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Originally Posted by vanessa
Since we are on the subject of husbands....

What do you ladies do (or gentleman do) when your spouse wants your attention and has nothing to do with themself? Mine does not have a hobby at all and wants my attention and that keeps me from quilting when I want to. I try to plan days just for us to do things together but he still wants my attention constantly.

Go buy him a new pair of jeans. Tell them they're his Big Boy Britches and he's to wear them every time you need to work on your quilting. Also explain that when he puts them on he'll feel empowered to do something for himself--by himself. Either that or teach him to quilt. :lol: :lol: And trust me, it could be worse. Mine is so insecure that he lashes out all the time with negative comments. Even though I know he doesn't really mean them they still hurt. I've been working so hard on making his grandson and great grandaughters quilts for Christmas and the other day he said that everything I make looks like s_ _ _! I know he didn't mean it but it still cut to the bone.

Oh WOW that really hurts. I'm glad you have friends like us on this forum to keep you going at what YOU like to do.

natalieg 09-09-2010 06:43 AM

My DH totally is an enabler when it comes to my hobbies! When it was cross stitch, he had me buy every thread that DMC made so that I would never have to wait to get that one color-I should already have it! With quilting, a little more impossible, but when I started, he went all out with it! He insisted that I buy a good machine (Brother 1500) because I liked it-I did and love it! I am down to 9 machines now because I just had too many-the most recent one, he told me to buy too! I just bought an oak sewing cabinet with his graces and he insisted that since it was bigger than my other cabinet that it should stay upstairs (where I have to sew more) and the other one in the sewing room downstairs! When he decided that I should do machine quilting he took me to look at a frame and I said, "No, I don't think so right now", he wrote the check anyway (from money he made from ebay!) He also graciously let me buy a GO! when I decided it was time!!! And plenty of dies!
Of course, all is fair, I support his hobbies too-and his, like mine, are not cheap! He went to work yesterday and I gave him a check and told him he should get his gun out of layaway and buy some new bullets for it. And, of course, he had to add to it-but I don't really mind!
And, I am going on a fabric shopping spree soon online to hit some of the good sales!
He is a keeper!

crashnquilt 09-09-2010 06:43 AM

Guess I should brag on my hubby too. For one, he never complains or comments on how much I spend on fabric or sewing stuffs. But on the same hand, I don't complain on how much he spends on his fishing stuff. I'd much rather the money go to fishing and sewing stuff than drugs or alcohol. But the greatest brag is about to come.

Because of circumstances that were well out of our control at the time of our wedding, we don't really celebrate our anniversaries. Well, not like everyone else celebrates. But, on our 20th anniversary my hubby truly surprised me beyond speechless.

Hubby is not a flower sending kind of guy. His words, "the damn things just die and look ugly" but he really shocked me. He went to one of my favorite shops, bought 20 fat quarters that looked really nice together. He then took those to our local florist (a quilty friend of mine). She folded the FQ's to look like flowers and put them in an arrangment! It was drop dead gorgeous. I would post a photo but I lost the photos on a hard drive that died.

Yep, I think I'll keep him.

JenniePenny 09-09-2010 06:45 AM

I have the most wonderful sewing room because hubby built it for that reason. I have strategically placed ceiling lights, a pegboard, and a design wall that he was involved with. He always enjoys seeing my projects too. He goes to the golf practice range in the evenings after dinner and I start sewing. Two hours later, he'll return, and see me and grin and say, "Still toiling away on those blocks, huh?"

kathy 09-09-2010 06:51 AM

well my sweetie was divorced for 14 yrs when we married so he's very used to intertaining himself! he's seldom underfoot and if he is it's not for long, in the afternoon when we have coffee I go out and visit with him at the picnic table, if it's Sunday and he's watching something he "invites" me to watch with him for a few minutes over coffee. and as far as what I spend he says" you know if we can afford it or not, I trust you" sure wish we'd have hooked up before I spent 22 yrs in hell! well better late than never! :thumbup: