Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best tip you ever got? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-tip-you-ever-got-t68352.html)

marlene tarzwell 10-06-2010 08:41 AM

Do not quilt late at night. I had sewn through the same finger twice. You think I would learn!!!!

chrises 10-06-2010 08:45 AM

Oh, I'll look around for something photogenic.

I'm starting an embroidered Christmas tree skirt for the
daughter in law. Have not thought of binding yet but it
will have to be cut on the bias for sure.

I had not thought of using different colors & that is a
fantastic idea! That idea alone tells me you've done it right!

I'm noticing a new post on the board about applying the
binding by machine & I'm hot to learn that method!!!

I'll post a picture of some kind. Glad you're happy. Shirl

chrises 10-06-2010 08:57 AM

You have me thinking of making the grandson a John Deere quilt! (I am in Iowa) The 2-color idea is wonderful.

Yes, you have it right. The way you have done it the top &
bottom of the quilt would have different colored bindings.

You can see, this is easy for the hands but hard on the mind.
And hard to 'splain, but well worth the effort.

franie 10-06-2010 09:02 AM

The one tip that I will remember! How many have I forgotten?

myothsec 10-06-2010 09:06 AM

Best "AHA! tip - TURN your home machine sideways when free motion quilting - it allows more room for the quilt, and the needle doesn't care if you sit in front of the machine or on the end of it. Makes handling bulky quilts MUCH easier!

Quilting Nana 10-06-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by trif

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
My best tip is the method of needlemarking light colored fabrics. It works absolutely great.

What is needlemarking?

I would like to know also. Never heard of it.?????

Helen20906 10-06-2010 09:17 AM

what are you spray starching?

cindyg 10-06-2010 09:30 AM

Today it is Mary Ellen's Best Press, gluing the binding down and pressing it before stitching it down, and how to fold over fabric twice to cut it without getting elbows.

Quilting Nana 10-06-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA

Originally Posted by judylg
Took a class, the woman who taught it let us keep cutting fabric into strips, she had to run out and meet someone for lunch,

You had a class in which the teacher LEFT the classroom for lunch??!! A paid class?? Was the lunch hour meant for everyone, did others leave as well? Still!!! I've taught for years all over the place, taken many, many classes all over the place, and NEVER can I remember a teacher leaving the majority of students behind to continue working while SHE left the area. I'm just amazed at the behavior!!

Jan in VA

I was thinking the very same thing. Every class I have ever taken the teacher takes her lunch with us so those that want to continue working can and she is there to help.
I sure hope you reported to the correct authority.

Quilting Nana 10-06-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I don't like finishing off the binding by hand as it is always too time consuming. Doing it all by machine was a bit hit and miss until a tailor showed me a trick of how I could sew it all by machine, and it was just as neat on both sides. No - one can tell from which side I was doing the final stitching and my binding goes on very quickly.

Please share how to do that.