Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What colour to paint sewing room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-colour-paint-sewing-room-t109925.html)

patdesign 03-24-2011 07:29 AM

Here is my interior designer 2 cents worth. You want a light neutral color on the walls best light reflection and color rendition. For years I have recommended Benjamin Moores Linen White, it is a standard color, adjusts with most tile and carpet colors, and gives a soft background for just about anything. It looks ivory when compared to a stark white, but isn't cold and definitely not yellow. Good Luck.:D

purvissp 03-24-2011 07:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Our sewing room color was chosen, before it was our sewing room. We converted our sun room into our sewing room. The walls are a light yellow, but the thing we really like is all of the windows. It really gives you a lot of natural light to work by and also great to be inside, comfortable doing something you love and still be able to see outside.

thrums 03-24-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by sumcoop
Mine is pale yellow and I have black and white furniture and all the colors of my beautiful material!
Love it...when I can see it. It is now a mess!

Thanks for the visual. Do you remember the name of the color? I seem to find yellows with green in it and really don't care for them.

I was going to paint a room in our new house that was dark and uninspiring. It has two windows on the north side and medium color inexpensive paneling. The room was telling me a melon color but I couldn't do it. I'm sewing on a sun porch right now and am loving it, but still need to paint the room. (It's too cold on the porch during the winter.)

Thanks!

thrums 03-24-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Here is my interior designer 2 cents worth. You want a light neutral color on the walls best light reflection and color rendition. For years I have recommended Benjamin Moores Linen White, it is a standard color, adjusts with most tile and carpet colors, and gives a soft background for just about anything. It looks ivory when compared to a stark white, but isn't cold and definitely not yellow. Good Luck.:D

Thanks for the tip. BM has samples I can try.

3TreeFrog 03-24-2011 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by purvissp
Our sewing room color was chosen, before it was our sewing room. We converted our sun room into our sewing room. The walls are a light yellow, but the thing we really like is all of the windows. It really gives you a lot of natural light to work by and also great to be inside, comfortable doing something you love and still be able to see outside.

purvissp

I am envious! You have a great sewing/quilting room! My room in down in the basement, and it is dark so I have a few lamps however I need more! The good thing about my room in the basement is that I have music!

TreeFrog

thrums 03-24-2011 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Robin Lynn
Well I am certanly not the person to ask. Everytime I pick out a color it looks good in the bucket but when it hits the walls it takes on horrible dimensions. But I do know that light colors bring in more light and you will want that to see what you are doing. And I would go with a favorite color so that your mood will be good when you walk into the room to get started on a project.

I have one wall with 5 coats of trial paint. lol

BJ SewKkrazzy 03-24-2011 07:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I choose a soft yellow, because my sewing room is in the basement, has one window that faces north, so I get no sun in it and I wanted to give it a warm feeling. My accent colors are mainly lavender...but I love pink and lavender together, so I have some pink things too!!!!

Becky Crafts 03-24-2011 07:45 AM

I would go with a beige or sky blue because you could put any colors up on/near that without them clashing. Have heard that a light green is supposed to be soothing, but it's not one of my personal favorites.

Anna O 03-24-2011 07:59 AM

I went to the paint store and asked for a white (not stark white, like bright snow). I told them I wanted to be able to see the true color of my fabrics. Good luck!

madamekelly 03-24-2011 08:03 AM

I painted mine 'vanilla ice cream'. It makes it easy for me to 'see' colors, which is an issue for me. My curtain is a pale green cloth shower curtain, it lets in light, but it is diffused light. I love my sewing room, and someday it will be finished. ;)