Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What did you used to hate that you don't hate now?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-did-you-used-hate-you-dont-hate-now-t18463.html)

The Babe 04-04-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall

Originally Posted by Marcia
applique--I am trying to learn to like it. I love applique quilts, just not my own personal results.

I didn't like hand applique until I discovered fleece--no fusible web and non needle turning--it's awesome. I'm addicted. I applique at lunch, in traffic jams, anywhere I can fit in a few minutes. A minute here and a minute there really add up!!
Rose H.

I am not familiar with the "fleece-no fusible web and non needle turning". Could you tell me what this is all about or direct me to an informational site? Hand applique and I have never been compatible!

littlehud 04-04-2009 01:10 PM

This sounds intriguing to me. Applique is not my favorite thing but this might work. Tell us more.

DebJ 04-05-2009 08:50 PM

I enjoy piecing, like applique', but I still not to crazy about paper-pieceing, it never turns out quite right. I use to hate ironing but it doesn't bother me any more. Even if it is clothes, :lol:

Tiffany 04-05-2009 09:15 PM

I used to hate applique. I started doing a fusible applique and tried machine applique. Then I tried hand applique and fell in love! Now it's about 2/3rd of everything I do. I would never have guessed that when I first began quilting.
Piece...Tiffany

Rose Hall 04-06-2009 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
This sounds intriguing to me. Applique is not my favorite thing but this might work. Tell us more.

I discovered when making a baby blanket a while back that fleece doesn't fray like cotton. The reason applique either has to be fused or needle turned is because it frays.

I cut my applique shape out and pin it down and do a teeny tiny blanket stitch around it. I will try to take a picture tonight (shhh! don't tell my boss, I "chat" with you at work!!!) and post tomorrow.

The fleece is just like butter. The needle just slides through the fabric. I haven't tried stitching a fleece applique to a cotton background, but would assume it would be just as easy.
I can do an easy shape in about 15 minutes.

Rose Hall

sandpat 04-06-2009 06:01 AM

Oh...it would have to be sandwiching/basting...no wait...its marking the top for quilting...no back to sandwiching...oh yeah...and I'm not to fond of zuchini either.. :lol:

GailG 04-06-2009 06:09 PM

Let me begin by saying what I love the most. I love the cutting process. But I must do it when I'm alone so that I can concentrate and talk to myself. I also love to chain piece. And I love, most of all, the pressing. My blocks never come out to a true size because I steam the heck out of them. I want them flat and crisp. Now -- what I hate the most [well actually I don't really "hate" it, but...] is the sandwiching part. Then the pinning and basting. I've tried the spraying but liked that even less. I would think that the reason I have so many tops waiting for the sandwiching, etc. process is that I procrastinate and then get interested in another project and move on, etc. etc. leaving the WIPs to become UFOs. There I've gotten that off my chest. This thread was a very good idea. Thanks.

k3n 04-07-2009 12:14 AM

For me it USED to be basting - by hand with needle and thread on the floor - my poor old knees and back - I would get up after an hour or so and feel about 101! THEN I got my microtack basting gun - yesterday I pinned and basted a lap quilt AND a bed quilt - laid out and pinned on the floor then basted on the dining table - it was actually fun with my little gun! :D

K x

MadQuilter 05-31-2009 06:40 PM

Since I watched the Sharon Schambers Binding tutorial video, I no longer dread the binding. I only used the starch (not the glue) and it worked so well. I also had perfect miters in the corner for the first time. YEAH!

Loretta, I have a fabulous squash casserole dish - u want me to send it to you?

cinnienune 05-31-2009 06:44 PM

ghostrider, ever tried zuchinni bread? Umm.