Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What did you used to hate that you don't hate now?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-did-you-used-hate-you-dont-hate-now-t18463.html)

Piedmont Quilter 06-01-2009 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Since I watched the Sharon Schambers Binding tutorial video, I no longer dread the binding. I only used the starch (not the glue) and it worked so well. I also had perfect miters in the corner for the first time. YEAH!

Same here. I hated doing the binding. Would put it off for the longest time, But now, I can't wait to get a quilt done so I can bind it. I do use the glue and the binding comes out perfect. Still not wild about the hand stitching.

BTW ~ my whole family love both Zuchinni and yellow squash, in fact, over abundance of both coming out of garden now. Planning on fried squash for dinner tonight :thumbup: :thumbup:

mpspeedy 06-01-2009 07:49 AM

I learned a long time ago to just do what is necessary so that you can get to the parts you like best. For me the actually handquilting is what I most enjoy. I do the other parts as fast as possible so that I can get to the good stuff.
I love collecting fabric, handling it and planning what to make. I don't take classes unless it is a project I would have done anyway. I rarely participate in block exchanges etc. I don't like to end up with a finished project that I didn't like in the first place.

ghostrider 06-01-2009 09:08 AM

The question was "What did you used to hate that you don't hate now??" I USED to hate Zucchini, but it's one of my favorite summer veggies now. I steam small ones with yellow crookneck squash, onions and broccoli. The big older ones that people give me are made into bread and frozen. I have an onion pie recipe that I want to try with zucs, too.

I used to hate marking fabric for cutting or quilting, but don't now since I got my Sewline fabric pencil. It is heavenly and erases like a dream.

GailG 06-01-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by k3n

Originally Posted by GailG

So, k3n, do you machine quilt with those little tacks in place?? I love that little thingy too, but I find them (the litle plastic tacks) a problem on the machine.

I have just finished quilting my first ever machine FMQ - up til now I've hand quilted. It was my pansy kaleidoscope. And yes I did it with the tacks in. I'm about half way through taking the tacks out and so far only a couple have been under a stitch and took a little coaxing to get out! I had no problems with them while quilting. And that goes for hand quilting too. I haven't posted yet because I still have to hand stitch the binding to the back.

K x

I've done hand quilting with the little tacks and didn't have any problems. If they were in the way, I'd just clip them out. But I find the bottom ones get caught in the feed dogs and I'm afraid to run over them with the needle. I like them because they hold the layers in place so well. But I've been hand-basting lately.

k3n 06-01-2009 10:59 PM

Gail - are you quilting with the dogs up? Mine were dropped, maybe that's the difference?

K x

GailG 06-02-2009 03:25 AM

I am quilting in the ditch with a walking foot. I would think that would be the difference And then you are probably navigating around the tacks to avoid hitting them with the needle. I do try to place the tacks strategically to avoid having them "in harm's way." Thanks for the reply.

Bevanger 06-02-2009 05:46 AM

I hated the backing part, but since I just make blankets and use fleece. I LOVE IT. NO batting NO binding. YUP easy peasy :D