Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do with "well loved" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-%22well-loved%22-quilts-t88881.html)

Norene B 01-09-2011 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Norene B
I did a zigzag on the seams of mine that was falling apart. It gets put on the wall in the winter time to help insulate the mobile home we live in.

Mine had the seams come apart, no holes in it. It is the first quilt I ever made. Wasn't sure I would like quilting so used some cheap sheets for the material. Some of the fabrics wore better than others. We used it on our bed for a long time and I'm still quilting.

cmagee84 01-09-2011 06:17 AM

I have a few of those quilts too. I display them in a glass case that is made for quilts. They are so lovely all folded and stacked and easily viewed.

sueisallaboutquilts 01-09-2011 06:58 AM

I would try to display it somehow, either folded in a bookcase, shelf, or something like that. Those old ones still look beautiful!

irishrose 01-09-2011 07:31 AM

If I had made it, I'd use it for the dogs then pitch it when it was worn out. But I have one my grandmother made for me completely by hand that I wore out using as a bedspread. I have decided to cut it up and use part of it under my 'new' vintage sewing machine. It will remind me of my precious grandmother daily. It doesn't do that in the closet. More sections will be framed for my children to have. I may make my oldest daughter a pillow for her new house. Rebuilding after a fire means everything in the house is new and this one was an antique collector. She needs some things with some history.

KANDU 01-09-2011 07:39 AM

Hand wash - hang dry - have your friend patch it. Then get a quilt hanger & use it as 'wall art'! That's what I've done with a few from our family. ( Nice insulators on outside walls too! )

greensleeves 01-09-2011 10:11 AM

I have two very old and worn family quilts that I've folded with the good parts showing and displayed in a cabinet. They are nice to see and a stranger would not know they are very worn. I also have old quilts cut up and used in a variety of ways--these have all been purchased from others or have been given to me as gifts. Not knowing their history there is no sentimental attachment but I do wonder how they came to be and enjoy looking at them.

Cyn 01-09-2011 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dogsgod
I have seen pieces of old quilts framed and also made into teddy bears,etc., or display it in one of those glass top coffee tables

One of my great grandmother's quilts had bad spots so my mom had angels made from the good parts and gave them to all of us great grands. I love mine! I loved my grannie.

grammydar 01-09-2011 11:09 AM

I knew I could count on you all for some wonderful ideas, Thank You!
The pillows and wall art sound like the best for me to do.
What kind of frame would you use, I am on a limited budget.
Would you put glass over it or ???.
I do things from a pattern ok but not just coming up with the ideas.

roselady 01-09-2011 02:34 PM

My brother in law has a quilt that his grandmother made for him as a baby, it was very well used and mostly in shreds. He wanted to save some part of it because of the sweet memories he has of it. I took it and cut out a large heart shape and am blanket stitching around it to applique it onto a background- about 18"x24"-then will embroider a verse pertaining to gradmothers, around the heart shaped quilt. I also want to add a picture of he and his grandmother and either frame them together or make a shadow box for it. One more idea.

irishrose 01-09-2011 03:00 PM

There will be no glass on my framed quilt portions. I will go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and look for some good sized wooden frames. I have a couple now, but I have five children. If the mats aren't usable, I can get acid free foam core board at a art supply store or probably a scrapbooking store. I will frame a piece of the quilt, then place another piece with the pretty lilac border diagonally across one corner or straight down one side.