Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do with "well loved" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-%22well-loved%22-quilts-t88881.html)

grammydar 01-09-2011 04:52 AM

I love watching the conversations on this board. There are too many to keep up with. But everyone is so friendly and helpful. I just wanted to say thank you.

Now, I have a quilt top that DH grandmother made 30 years ago, then after a fire 17 yrs ago and bad washing decisions, an amish friend quilted it.
Now the fabric is falling apart. Because of who made it and the history of it, I hate to just throw it out. What would you do with it?
My kids don't really want it, and DH said whatever I decide is ok.

quilt_happy 01-09-2011 04:54 AM

I would recover it and use it again

earlylace 01-09-2011 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My niece has one like that, it was my sisters growing up and now her daughther has it, its in rough shape, so its keep on the back of a chair as decoration in her daughters room which would be my sisters granddaughter. Nice room decor.

dogsgod 01-09-2011 05:12 AM

I have seen pieces of old quilts framed and also made into teddy bears,etc., or display it in one of those glass top coffee tables

raptureready 01-09-2011 05:17 AM

I have one that grandma called her "Everyday quilt". It was on their bed everyday of the year which meant that it got washed at least 24 times a year maybe more even though she used it as a bedspread unless company was coming. It's the same way with just bits of the original blocks around the quilted edge. I wouldn't part with it for anything. I put it on the back of a chair, or folded on top of a blanket chest. I also threaten with bodily harm anyone that might think to use it.

cjomomma 01-09-2011 05:25 AM

I had to put mine away that were old and frail. If I left them out DH would use them. He just couldn't understand why I didn't want them used as he sat with his toes poking thru the hole in the quilt.

117becca 01-09-2011 05:26 AM

i had a couple quilts that my grandmother had made and they were used and tattered and torn. I turned them into teddy bears and gave one to my mom and each of her 4 brothers. You can also frame them.

Norene B 01-09-2011 05:29 AM

I did a zigzag on the seams of mine that was falling apart. It gets put on the wall in the winter time to help insulate the mobile home we live in.

S D G 01-09-2011 05:45 AM

My Aunt gave my mother a very old and very loved quilt. She didn't know what do do with it. I suggested a jacket. There was enough to make 2 jackets, so I got 1 of them. It is my favorite jacket. I get compliments every time I wear it. It was quilted onto a sweatshirt, very warm. Mom didn't wear hers, so I got it. It is like having my aunts arms around me every time I wear it. She is very special to me.

Grandma Peg 01-09-2011 05:55 AM

You could also make some darling pillows in different shapes and still have the quilt in a different shape and use.