Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to do with "well loved" quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-%22well-loved%22-quilts-t88881.html)

irishrose 01-09-2011 05:47 PM

When I walked through my family room after my last post, I saw the perfect frame. I bought it at Merchandise Outlet for very little, threw away the giraffe picture and painted the frame red with gold overtones. It's a perfect size, simple, not too wide. I can save the plastic inserts for future quilting templates. I won't need to paint the frames for my children - at least not red for the lilac trimmed quilt.

smagruder 01-10-2011 03:22 AM

I have a very old, sad, and ragged quilt my grandmother made for my mother. When Mother passed, I found it in her belongings. I just could not bring myself to throw it away. I like the idea of using it as batting for a new quilt. Now I have to decide who will get this treasure. Thanks for the ideas.

meme peggy 01-10-2011 04:13 AM

becca, the quilt pattern that your kitty is sleeping on is one that I have, the edges are all tattered and even in places the interior cotton is showing thru, that's how much use it has had, is my DH favorite quilt. Mom made it when I was young and that has been really long time ago...love this pattern and am going to make it SOMEDAY, when I finish what is already started....love this website...memepeggy

2manyprojects 01-10-2011 04:19 AM

I have a similar one...it hangs above the bed, for sentimental reasons only and no one hardly ever goes in the bedroom, not that it is ugly it is well worn.

pkelly1947 01-10-2011 05:55 AM

I'd take a section & have it framed. Put a note with the quilts history on the back & maybe a picture of the grandmother & the full quilt.Good luck with your decision.

Mkotch 01-10-2011 05:57 AM

I have one of those old family heirloom quilts, too, in tatters. I was going to cut it up and frame for some nieces, but now I am thinking I might make pillows for them instead. Thanks for the idea!

illinois 01-10-2011 06:02 AM

Christmas stockings. There is probably enough there to make lots of them to share with other family members. They come out once a year so won't become worn from use in today's time period but "Grandma" will be with you every Christmas to share the holiday. A good time to share memories of her with those who didn't get to be part of her life.

I'd like to see the angel that was made from a tattered quilt, please.

Grandma Libby 01-10-2011 06:50 AM

When I quilted that antique quilt top given to me by my 90-year-old neighbor, made by her mother, who helped deliver me in 1947....people asked WHAT I was going to do with that quilt now??? I said, "put it on my bed, it has been in a cedar chest LONG ENOUGH!" I think that one which might be coming apart, I would do like some others, I would put it on a quilt rack and display it. If it is "out of sight", it will be "out of mind"!

grannie-k 01-10-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by roselady
My brother in law has a quilt that his grandmother made for him as a baby, it was very well used and mostly in shreds. He wanted to save some part of it because of the sweet memories he has of it. I took it and cut out a large heart shape and am blanket stitching around it to applique it onto a background- about 18"x24"-then will embroider a verse pertaining to gradmothers, around the heart shaped quilt. I also want to add a picture of he and his grandmother and either frame them together or make a shadow box for it. One more idea.

This is perfect timing. I pulled the two quilts that I have that were my grandmothers out this weekend. I wanted to do something with other than have in cedar chest. I have see through coffee and end tables I am trying to work something out. then I remembered the quilt my granny made for my son. It is a beautiful crib size quilt well used I so much more appreciate the hand quilting now that i have taken up quilting. I have it laying over the twin bed in my spare bed room now but I love your idea.

mommafank 01-10-2011 07:32 AM

I have 2 of these that DH grandmother made so they must be at least 60 or 70 years old. Will be watching this one to read all the ideas so I can finally diecide on the right thing to do with them. Right now I have them in bags in the closet.