Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to do With 199 yards of Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-199-yards-flannel-t166698.html)

Tinabug 11-06-2011 07:01 PM

What to do With 199 yards of Flannel

Well, I found a pretty good deal on really nice flannel. $1.00 a yard and great manufacturers. I could not help myself :-) 36 different designs, some for children, a lot of designer style too. So,after the obvious sleepwear, and clothing items, what else can I use it for? I can make napkins and fun tablecloths, but what else can I use it for? The lady had 500 bolts of high quality flannel that she does not want to use any more, she has a shop on Etsy and sells aprons. She also had..approximately 2,000 bolts of nice cotton fabric.(not for sale, (!!!XX@@!!!) Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1234Irene 11-06-2011 07:03 PM

WOW 199 yards of flannel! Looks like you will be busy for awhile. How about some lined Christmas stockings for the holidays? Maybe some placemats? Rag quilts?

RedGarnet222 11-06-2011 07:11 PM

Depending on how wide the yardage is, you could make sheets or pillowcases. I am pretty sure if you wanted to and the colors won't show through, you can use it for a light weight batting inside tablerunners or summer quilts. Make sure you shrink it first though! Curtains, tablecloths, childrens toys, lining for light weight jackets or children's pants for winter.. Most anything you use cotton for.

I would look though a pattern book and check the fabrics they reccomend. That would give you a good idea of what kind of patterns to buy or use.

Tartan 11-06-2011 07:11 PM

Flannel, hmmmm? Rag or chenille quilts of course as Irene mentioned. Receiving blankets, burp cloths, the back for lap quilts (flannel keeps them from slipping). One of the magazines I bought has a cute chenille scarf. They used cotton but flannel would be even better. The magazine was McCall's Quilting, November/December 2011. Article and instructions under "Chenille Chic"

SouthPStitches 11-06-2011 07:17 PM

I just made a winter curtain valance with flannel. Very pleased with how it came out. But what to do with other 198 yards?! That's a whole lot of nice shirts going on.

SouthPStitches 11-06-2011 07:19 PM

Another thought - E-bay some of the yardage. You can recoup some of your investment and put any profit towards Christmas.

jaciqltznok 11-06-2011 07:24 PM

you can make chenille out of it...also use it as the lining(batting) for summer quilts, totes, table runners, etc...
and don't forget baby blanket backings!

Keep Them In Stitches 11-06-2011 07:35 PM

Since it is really nice flannel, back your quilts with it. IMHO

OMG - Where are you going to store 500 bolts of flannel?

ging10ging 11-06-2011 07:47 PM

I've seen some pet coat's made from flannel. I know it's nice flannel but a $1.00 a yd isn't bad to use for anything and maybe you could make some money making them. Rag quilts are also very nice in flannel and of course baby things. Good Luck. Sue

lynnegreen 11-06-2011 07:52 PM

What about ripping some of it down and crocheting rag rugs, especially for the bathroom? Or emergency blankets for the car(s)? What about making donation covers for local shelters?