Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-hideous-ugly-polyester-fabric-1970s-t195913.html)

Dee 07-28-2012 08:01 PM

I use it. It works well.

IAmCatOwned 07-28-2012 08:09 PM

When I first made blankets for the family (pre-quilting), my Mom gave me a ton of this stuff. It was great to use for backings. So long as the fabric was soft, it made warm and comfy blankies using a cotton top and batting. Not so comfy fabric works better on the bottoms of chair cushions for the couch in the basement. Knits on the bottom tend to keep the cushions from sliding around too.

I like everything but the greens. I didn't like them in the 70s. Don't like 'em any better now that they've come back in style.

If your pieces aren't large enough for the whole back, don't hesitate to incorporate some other cottons. For instance, use the plaid right down the center back. Not wide enough? Buy some black and make a 1.5 inch strip on both sides. Then get a red or blue that goes with that plaid in cotton to finish the edges. It looks planned. The advantage of using this stuff is that, like flannel, it tends not to slide off the bed or lap.

Pickles 07-28-2012 08:45 PM

Wow I only wish I had the money for the postage for I'd have ask you to send it all to me. I love quilting with Poly.

rhilkey 07-28-2012 08:48 PM

Check with your local quilt guild; some groups make charity quilts made out of anything.

Rose Burnett 07-28-2012 08:49 PM

Double knit is a wonderful fabric for donation quilts, lap quilts, car quilts, and picnic quilts. Many churches still use this in their quilts as it is so durable. The slinky knit is not as easy to use; the heavier knit is almost indestructible. Groups that use double knit in their quilts are always happy to be gifted with it so that they can continue to make many more for the needy. They are also great all purpose family quilts. Most of them are tied, not quilted.

MisDixie 07-28-2012 09:11 PM

I posted on the first page and wanted to watch what would be suggested.
Found out that this evening that a single Mom and family lost their home in a fire here in our little town. One son has been medi-vaced to Edmonton with burns to 80% of his body. My doubleknits will go to fund raising for this family in need. Pray for them please, Thanks, Dixie
P.S. I'am going to do quick quilts for the family, but will use the double knit with poly batt and backing to sell off to campers/trappers/ect here in the north when the big fund raisers come along. Thanks to whom ever it was that said it was warm even when wet!! That will sell them here!

teacherbailey 07-29-2012 03:00 AM

Sew a few layers of it together and give to your local dog rescue as bedding. They can always use more, and it's nuclear bomb-proof, so it can be washed over and over and will not fall apart. You can get a tax deduction through them too.

rural01 07-29-2012 04:36 AM

A friend sent me some fabric that she 'inherited.' She doesn't quilt. There was some really great stuff, but also some I didn't care for. I ripped it into strips, braided them, and turned it into a rug. I really enjoyed the hand-sewing in front of the TV. My biggest problem was getting it to not be a bowl. My trusty iron helped with that. I do have a dilemma though. It is too small--place mat size. I need to find more fabric I don't like and rip that up too. I do have some really ugly green polyester, that doesn't match the other colors at all. I think I'll use 2 strips of it with 1 strip of the one I already used to create a transition. Then I can braid til my heart's content.

Grace MooreLinker 07-29-2012 04:44 AM

these make good lap quilts for senior homes or veterans homes. They wash and dry good.

Judie 07-29-2012 04:46 AM

As someone said earlier this stuff is bullet proof.. Don't toss it.. I've made a quilt for each of us to keep in the back of the car.. they are great for an unplanned picnic, to put on the ground if a tire needs changing or worse.. You can cover up if you get someplace without a jacket and it turns cold.. Nothing will hurt these quilts

I'm also stripped the fabric up and made braided rugs, and hearth rugs. I've made small rugs type seat cushions.. Color and print hardly matters when it's been braided.

That fabric makes great dog beds. There is a lot of things to use it for besides our traditional bed quilts.