Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you use your wonder clips for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-use-your-wonder-clips-t254048.html)

Sisty88 09-20-2014 01:58 AM

What do you use your wonder clips for?

I have just treated myself to some Clover wonder clips because I wanted free delivery on an Amazon order and needed to add something else to my basket.

What do you use them for, other than the obvious suggestion of using them when you are attaching your binding to a quilt?

I'm sure they have many many uses as I have seen them mentioned several times on this forum!

I feel like I would probably use them when basting hexies, as I used to use paperclips to keep the fabric in place while I basted.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions :-)

kathy 09-20-2014 03:29 AM

I use one to hold the embroidery thread I'm working from, after it's cut from the skein I can't tell which end to use, (if you work from the back end it tangles more) I hang it on a magnet connected to my lamp so it's easy to find and not tangeled. When I'm floating a quilt top and don't want it on the floor, I clip it up with them. When I get my binding ready to attach I clip a couple on before I through it over my shoulder, that way if I have to stop before I finish it doesn't get all messed up.

Onebyone 09-20-2014 04:16 AM

I use them to match seams, hold fabric pieces, use instead of pins to ease in borders, hold strips together when sewing, anyplace I use a pin if I can. I detest straight pins, I always get pricked.

auntpiggylpn 09-20-2014 04:22 AM

I use them when I am basting my EPP hexies!

Judi in Ohio 09-20-2014 04:27 AM

I use them alot for counting groups of blocks. Love my wonder clips. I've got the little reds and bigger greens. Also for the other uses mentioned.

janRN 09-20-2014 04:50 AM

I do a lot of paper piecing. When sewing the segments together the Wonder Clips are much easier to use--there is too much bulk to pin through fabric & paper without distorting or twisting the segments. I also like using them when sewing long strips of fabric together. Again there is no distortion and as you approach each clip it just slides off the fabric without having to stop sewing to remove the pins.

Doggramma 09-20-2014 06:15 AM

I also use them instead of pins - to hold borders onto quilt; to hold the next piece when piecing a block; to hold maching seams together at the matching point. And I use them to hold the edges together when I have a large piece of fabric that needs to be folded straight to cut strips off the edge.

Homespun 09-20-2014 06:16 AM

I wanted to use mine to hold some pattern pieces together, but haven't seen them since I moved a year ago!

Silver Needle 09-20-2014 06:17 AM

Don't know if other quilters do this...but I like to do a preliminary layout with my binding all the way around the quilt. I want to know where to start so I am certain none of the joining places in the binding end up on a corner of the quilt. Then the binding is all in place when I'm ready to stitch it on. I leave a little extra in the corners and just keep working the extra ahead of me as I stitch. I place extra tables around my machine so the quilt is pretty much off the floor. The wonder clips beat pins hands down when doing this. They are easy to move if I need to adjust my start point. And no getting stuck with pins as I'm sewing on the binding.

Veronica 09-20-2014 06:21 AM

I use them to hold my hexies together when I'm whip stitching them to each other.