Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What notions are a waste of money? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-notions-waste-money-t75472.html)

Bev 11-16-2010 05:44 PM

I wonder if anyone here uses the "Quilt Wizard." It's the foot that you put a plastic thingie on that creats a perfect quarter inch seam. It also has a plastic thingie that helps make "stitch in the ditch" quilting a breeze, according to the ad.
I bought one after seeing a demo at the NQS show years ago. I never used it and came upon it when I was cleaning up my quilting room. Has anyone used it? Is it as great as they say? Should I try it or just get rid of it? I haven't heard it mentioned here.

BMP 11-16-2010 05:58 PM

Quilt Wizard..I have one and yes I have used it, it does work pretty well.

deedum 11-16-2010 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dorisleidheiser
The ruler with 2 inch slots is great for making bias binding.

Wow, this is a great idea! Thanks, I will give it a try!

lgc 11-16-2010 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
A pounce to stencil. I can't get it to work for me. I even bought a lot of the special stencils with it and I can not use those for other things. Some people love a pounce so maybe I am doing it wrong?

Well I am seeing people liking and using some stuff that others thought useless. Maybe time to sell some stuff?

You "pounce" the pad to get the powder to flow, then "wipe" it over the stencils. Hope this helps.

Bev 11-17-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
Quilt Wizard..I have one and yes I have used it, it does work pretty well.

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try. But if I have to mess around with it too much, I'll lose patience. I know me. When you say It works "pretty well," it makes me wonder ... :wink:

cjaye44 11-17-2010 07:45 AM

Bella Boo wrote:

I took my Sidewinder apart (couple of screws) and put in a piece of heavy iron I found in DH's shop. There is a lot of empty space inside it. It doesn't move anywhere or tip over. And it winds so much smoother. If something doesn't work like I want it to I try to find out why not and modify what it needs.

Do you think a few fishing or drapery weights could be super glued in and do the same job??

cjaye44 11-17-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by finch
Does anyone have the ruler called the scrap master by Judy Hopkins??I was wondering if they liked it or not? I have several of the lighter weight rulers that I am not fond of.Also have alot that I bought from QVC that have the little knobs on the top that are a pale green in color.I have never used them.

I have the Scrap Saver ruler and really like it. There are days when I don't really want to start another project so I just go through all my smaller pieces of fabric, cut them into assorted shapes and sizes and put them in labeled shoe boxes. That tip came from Bonnie Hunter at quiltville.com. Then, when I need a particular piece for a scrap quilt, I can find it easily. Works for me!!

BMP 11-17-2010 10:02 AM

Pretty Well = until I got a new machine and it has those feet included...so I didnt need to use it any longer.

Bev 11-17-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BMP
Pretty Well = until I got a new machine and it has those feet included...so I didnt need to use it any longer.

Well thanks. I'll try them. The quarter inch thing should be especially useful, I'd think. 8-)

grandmaquilts 11-17-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama

Originally Posted by grandmaquilts
I was going to buy it and went online to read some reviews of it. The reviews were not good so I didn't get it.

Boy! This thread is long. I'm getting totally confused and cannot connect items to comments. Think I will go in my sewing room and pick out the items that don't work and toss them in the donatin bag.

:shock: :shock:

This was about the Simplicity Deluxe Rotary Cutting machine