Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Quilty Prize Would Make You Want to Buy a Raffle Ticket? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilty-prize-would-make-you-want-buy-raffle-ticket-t252016.html)

psychonurse 08-18-2014 03:55 AM

sewing related USB stick. or machine embroidery towel for those who do not have a Embroidery Machine, they can always use it as a gift for someone not in the guild.

Weezy Rider 08-18-2014 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6848845)
This is how most of the older members feel in our guild about new ideas and spoils the fun of it.

Why? Not everyone likes free stuff or raffles. If you get a donation instead it's still making money which is the purpose of the raffle. It's great for those who like it. I'm fussy and would rather buy my own stuff. I'd give you a donation for a couple of tickets. I've won stuff (unwanted - never entered contest)that I've turned down or thrown away.

Sewnoma 08-18-2014 05:26 AM

I think I might also look for things that are a little more unusual. Like those red glasses for viewing values, or one of those books of color swatches. Or things that are quilting related but aren't actual quilt supplies; like a necklace with a quilt block pendant or earrings with little sewing machines; a folding hand-fan that is quilt themed; a mousepad with quilt print; a travel bag made with sewing themed fabric... things like that.

At my guild there's a raffle every other meeting of about 8 or 10 items (usually fabric but not always); they line up all the prizes with paper bags in front of each and you distribute your little clutch of tickets into whichever bag(s) go with the item(s) you are interested in. I like that because there is always some of the stuff I would not care for, but other things I would really like so I'm only entering my tickets for the things I'm actually interested in.

Lori S 08-18-2014 06:57 AM

A basket with tone on tone ( white on white or cream on cream ) fabrics would get me excited.

Twisted Quilter 08-18-2014 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 6849463)
I think I might also look for things that are a little more unusual.
At my guild there's a raffle every other meeting of about 8 or 10 items (usually fabric but not always); they line up all the prizes with paper bags in front of each and you distribute your little clutch of tickets into whichever bag(s) go with the item(s) you are interested in. I like that because there is always some of the stuff I would not care for, but other things I would really like so I'm only entering my tickets for the things I'm actually interested in.

I like this idea! I hate it when I win something I don't want. :thumbup:

KalamaQuilts 08-18-2014 07:14 AM

to answer your question about What piecing thread, brands like you are using. I've spent the last two years using up all my coats and clarks (nothing wrong with it by the way) and would like some samples of something else.

Look at the Harbor Freight threads. That big hubcap magnet cracks me up.

Does the guild have a logo? Or a header for their website? You can get those printed on everything in the world
http://www.zazzle.com/quilting+gifts

Onebyone 08-18-2014 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider (Post 6849413)
Why? Not everyone likes free stuff or raffles. If you get a donation instead it's still making money which is the purpose of the raffle. It's great for those who like it. I'm fussy and would rather buy my own stuff. I'd give you a donation for a couple of tickets. I've won stuff (unwanted - never entered contest)that I've turned down or thrown away.

I understand someone not wanting to buy a raffle ticket but the older members in my guild talk negative if anyone is enjoying a program they don't care for or vote no to any idea that will cost a $1. They sure bring a negative feel to the meetings. The oldest keep saying this is not how we use to do it and gets the rest of the olders all puckered up about the changes. LOL. I told my DD if I get that mindset then it's time to say MOM, you are acting like an old biddy and no one likes it.

bearisgray 08-18-2014 08:23 AM

The idea that interested me most of the ones here -

that one can put one's raffle tickets in the bags in front of the items one is more interested in -

I would be willing to buy a chance on the largest quilting square ruler available - an OLFA 16.5 square ruler would be something I would like

Weezy Rider 08-18-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 6849670)
I understand someone not wanting to buy a raffle ticket but the older members in my guild talk negative if anyone is enjoying a program they don't care for or vote no to any idea that will cost a $1. They sure bring a negative feel to the meetings. The oldest keep saying this is not how we use to do it and gets the rest of the olders all puckered up about the changes. LOL. I told my DD if I get that mindset then it's time to say MOM, you are acting like an old biddy and no one likes it.

I'm all for everyone having fun - the only time I'd really complain about a raffle is if you were required to buy a ticket for some reason. The other thing I'd complain about is a hair brained pyramid/Ponzi scheme to raise money.
I might not be interested or want to join in, but I do enjoy watching the others have fun. Some of the ladies get really excited and I'm happy for them.

WMUTeach 08-19-2014 03:28 AM

How about one of the sewing machine carrying cases that disguises itself as a suitcase on roller wheels. I would love one for traveling to retreats and quilt work days. Another idea would be be a small basket filled with those little items we use. How about a power cord. Not to glamorous but when I travel to quilt it is mandatory.

A new thought, how about a gift card to the best sewing machine repair shop so folks can get a machine "tune up". Oh, goodness, tune-up reminded me of music. A CD of calm but rhythmic music to play while you free motion quilt.