Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Techniques have you used to HIDE-N-SNEAK fabric in the house? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-techniques-have-you-used-hide-n-sneak-fabric-house-t108372.html)

Traditional 03-21-2011 07:47 AM

My husband never ask what I spend on quilting or anything else.
Blessed and know it.
The key is have a budget and stick to it.

Landers 03-21-2011 08:08 AM

I just call it "Thread"! I am going to get thread! Great understanding my hubby & I have! but he really doesn't care what I buy!

mzsooz 03-21-2011 08:13 AM

I have no need to hide the fabric. I just tell DH that my mom gave me the money to buy it ;)

Twisted Quilter 03-21-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sassylass
My hubby doesn't mind what I get but to be on the safe side yesterday I brought my new Janome 6600P in and then the Janome Gem gold 2 and set them on the bench and exclaimed.LOOK SHE GAVE BIRTH TO A BABY :)
Worked for me LOL
Sass

Too cute!

Annya 03-22-2011 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
No sneaking here. My husband and I make no comments on how we each spend money. We are both frugal people who don't spend above our means.

I am the same Lisa. I pay for my own fabric and it just comes in with all the groceries. DH doesn't even see it and I don't tell. The only time he might see the fabric is when it is still drying on the line.

DeniseP 03-22-2011 05:26 AM

An example of how well my husband knows me. We went into Joann fabrics one day and I took a small shopping basket instead of a cart and he said, "Surely, you jest." I think he knows me.

sherriequilts 03-22-2011 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by SWChick
I leave it in my SUV, which he never drives. When I knowvhe will be gone awhile ibring some in. He thinks I have enough fabric to do anything for the next 5 years. He doesn't understand that it takes more than a couple of yards to make a quilt. this snecking is one of the reasons I am trying to get him interestedin quilting.

Is that wise? won't you have to hide it then so he won't use that one fabric you'll never find again in one of his quilts!

sherriequilts 03-22-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
LOL such a funny topic...my wife doesn't mind that I buy fabric..usually we are always together. A few months ago my oldest grandson was with me and I got about 10 yards...a few weeks later my wife said I dont remember this fabric...LOL...I just said "It was Logan's fault he liked it"...lol

Too funny! Is Logan going with you again soon?

sherriequilts 03-22-2011 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Hello! I posted this same question a few months back and basically got alot of the same replies. Many women on this board don't hide fabric. I felt like it should not have posted the question either... Believe it or not, since then I just make sure my house bills are paid then if I come across fabric I want for my stash I buy it with no hiding or shame. I figure I do my contribution by working, being a good woman, keeping a clean house, etc. If I want to purchase fabric I do. Of course now it is getting to the point of I am running out of space in my very small sewing room!

Guess I missed this topic the first time around. Have been LOL over many of the posts. Nice to know that many here are supported in their quilting. My DH was not into reading and I am a bookworm of the first order. I didn't show him how many books I'd bring home from Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. Wish he were here now, but would not be showing him all my fabric purchases either. I didn't start quilting until after he passed although I had made a couple of big, puffy comforters with pieced tops (didn't think they qualified as quilts!). He really liked them so maybe he would have supported me in my quilting. He had his own projects too. I miss him.

sherriequilts 03-22-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by grammy17
I don't hide anything I buy. My DH is very understanding. Made him a shirt yesterday. I'm good for the next 100 years.

However, you hiding things made me think of a friend from long ago. She would buy clothes and bring them home and throw them into the dryer. Next day she would come out wearing the item. Her Dh would ask, "Isn't that new? " Her reply, "NO, I just got it out of the dryer."

LOL