Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What types of lights do you use in your quilting rooms? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-types-lights-do-you-use-your-quilting-rooms-t67768.html)

charmpacksplus 10-01-2010 03:53 PM

I prefer to sew during the daylight hours at my dining room table near a large window facing north. But of course I never finish my project before dark so I put some flourescent full spectrum screw-in type bulbs in my dining room fixture.... six of 'em. Almost just as good as daylight.

to bjnicholson.... it might be a good time to change your overhead light fixture and get one where the bulbs shine down instead of up.

donnajean 10-01-2010 04:18 PM

Ott lights - one has long bendable arm & is clamped to top of sewing cabinet. Another over ironing area.

Suzan Larrimore 10-01-2010 05:10 PM

I have four bulbs in a ceiling fan for general lighting. Behind my machine I have a goose neck lamp with an OTT Lite bulb. Works out great. I have the light I need right where I want it.

quilter41 10-01-2010 05:25 PM

I have an Ott light by my machine. I would like a bendable but think they are pricey. Also have halogen track lighting

mom-6 10-01-2010 05:25 PM

So far I have the squirly fluorescents in the ceiling fan and the light on the sewing machine. Used to have a gooseneck lamp by my old machine whose light didn't work, but one of the kids claimed it for his/her dorm room and it hasn't been seen since!

cathyvv 10-01-2010 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
I have a window in my dining room where I sew, but after dark it's like a dungeon. The overhead is a chandelier that has four candle type bulbs in yellow glass pointing up. I've got to do something. I'm going blind!

Get some florescent lights - more light with less wattage. I did that in my dining room - 12 lamps. It also keeps it cooler under the light.

They do make decorative florescents if you don't want the curly lights.

quiltnmom 10-01-2010 07:02 PM

My sewing is done at the dining room table so I have the dining room fixture that is not centered over the table,instead it is more at the end where the machine is so I feel like I'm being interrogated while sewing. I also have a flourescent desk lamp since the overhead is bad light. DH is supposed to be putting a hook in the ceiling and adding chair to center my fixture over the table so maybe that will help a little.

jitkaau 10-02-2010 01:59 AM

Daylight Company lights.

grammyv 10-02-2010 03:23 AM

i have a huge parlor i have taken over for my sewing room-overhead lighting is good and an ott light by my chair as i do a lot of applique.for sewing on the machine-it's still the portable machine (jamone)and overhead lightling.havent tried this at night yet.

jbud2 10-02-2010 03:40 AM

my sister just gave me an Ott light that I have over my cutting board. Being my sewing room is also a bedroom, the light isn't the best and the Ott light really helps!