Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What types of lights do you use in your quilting rooms? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-types-lights-do-you-use-your-quilting-rooms-t67768.html)

sewTinker 10-02-2010 03:42 AM

besides the overhead light (a ceiling fan w/ four lights) I have a pole lamp with adjustable light fixtures, and a clip-on light that I have attached to my pegboard to shine down on my cutting table. I could use a better lighting system.

elainer 10-02-2010 04:30 AM

Quilting area is crammed into my little bedroom...with the iron on, the gooseneck lamp, the lights in the vanity area, the light from the sewing machine and yet another lamp, I get very hot and sweaty and have to turn it all off sometimes and start again when everything including me has cooled off

JayCee 10-02-2010 05:32 AM

I have natural or "daylight" florescent lighting in the end of the room with my fabric storage and cutting table with a ott light floor lite that does double duty over the quilt frame and the sewing machine. Also a table ott lite near the chair I use when doing hand work. The older I get, the more light I seem to need.

brushandthimble 10-02-2010 05:35 AM

lots of light in the studio, and by the couch doing hand stuff I have a floor OTT light. I take a portable OTT light with me when going to classes or away.

Pam B 10-02-2010 05:38 AM

I have a floor type Ott lite that sits in the corner between my two machines. That way I can angle it toward the machine I am using at the time. I also have another ott lite that sits on the cabinet of the machine I prefer to use...it has that round base where I can stick bobbins, etc., and the neck that I can adjust. I bought it at Joanns for a really good price. I used to sew in my dining room under my big window and that is what I really preferred, however, it was kind of dark at night. Now that my son is married and out, I have his old room. Kind of nice to not feel like I always have to put my stuff away.

quiltwiz 10-02-2010 06:51 AM

I have five fluorescent fixtures with four 4' bulbs in each one. I also use an Ott light behind my machine. My sewing room is 19' x 19' and it is like taking the roof off on a very bright sunny day!! Love it.

Tudey 10-02-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
What types of lights do you use in your quilting rooms?

Ott Lights?
Bendable lights that attaches to your machines?

Flourescent lights?

This should be a fun topic to discuss!

The main lighting in my sewing room is flourescent, but with natural light tubes. I also have an Ott-type light (different brand so I call it my Nott Light)

Keira's quilter 10-02-2010 07:51 AM

I was a lighting consultant in a prior incarnation. I have 8 -75w recessed light over my sewing counter and around the room based on the task area. I have a fan with 3 lights for general light. and over my work counter (20feet long) I have 6- 18 inch flourescent undercounter lights with daylight bulbs. when my electrician was installing my lights and electrical requests, he wanted to know if i was going to be running a sweat shop!!

EagarBeez 10-02-2010 08:50 AM

I have 4 lightbulbs in my ceiling overhead and a bendable ott light

lalaland 10-02-2010 09:36 AM

I have 2 Ott lights, a table one by my serger and a stand-up one over my cutting table. The bulbs are no longer available for sale in the store on the stand-up one so I have to buy them online.

I have a small bendable light on my sewing machine and another light that clamps onto my sewing table next to the sewing machine so I have additional light for that area.

I have a light that clamps onto my ironing table that has a low heat bulb in it so it doesn't get warm and add to the heat of the steam iron.

I have a small hallogen light next to my embroidery machine.

The main light in my sewing room is a pole light, which really isn't that great. We are having ceiling lights installed in all our bedrooms so hopefully that will increase the light in my sewing room. I have a nice window that I have purposely not put a curtain on so there is always light coming in.