Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do next? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-next-t244915.html)

youngduncan 04-12-2014 02:16 AM

I'm just weird enough to think that the design could be continued as it is, then add a nice border to frame it. Many years ago, when my eyes could see the holes in the canvas, I really enjoyed doing bargello needlepoint. Designs which continued up and/or down the full width of a canvas were intriguing, and they certainly did not have to be a centered design. The final word is this: it's your quilt -- and a wonderful one -- so do what your eye and your heart are telling you to do with this. It should turn out to be a masterpiece!!

Annaquilts 04-12-2014 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 6669690)
I wouldn't want it to be perfectly symmetrical, or to look like a big "W". I would make the pattern go up just a bit, then down kind of far, then back up alot---very far. (If that makes sense, lol!)

Yes this is what I would try to do. A very nice bargello!

jitkaau 04-12-2014 04:58 AM

If you continued to descend with the peaks it could look like mountains,forests or cascading water...we always look for something figurative I guess. I think it will look equally nice if you make your W shape as the colours are nicely blended and not jarring.

katesnanna 04-12-2014 06:22 AM

It looks great and as you started without a pattern I think you should let the quilt tell you where it wants to go. I'm working on my first Bargello.

roserips 04-12-2014 08:04 AM

What if you use your picture and play with cutting and pasting two side by side then you could cut things apart rearrange and see before you do. At least that is where I would start since you have a beautiful beginning.

indymta 04-12-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zinda (Post 6669766)
Nice job on your quilt. I love the colors.

Never made a bargello and can't believe you just are doing it w/o a pattern! What you have looks great!

matraina 04-12-2014 02:33 PM

What would you do next?

Can't help with suggestions for your questions; but I can tell you I love what you've done so far.

QUOTE=Dina;6668846]I have 1/2 of this Bargello quilt done, not following a pattern. I am trying to decide how I continue this design. I really like what I have ...you will have to turn your head to look at the design, as I had to take the picture sideways to get it all...but time to figure out where I go next.

I will get out my graph paper and colored pencils next, but which how would you continue the design? If I "go up" to match what I have, it may just look like a big W. Of course, that might be okay...

Any suggestions are welcome!! Thanks.

Dina[/QUOTE]

Dina 04-13-2014 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by roserips (Post 6672142)
What if you use your picture and play with cutting and pasting two side by side then you could cut things apart rearrange and see before you do. At least that is where I would start since you have a beautiful beginning.

I actually did this, and it has helped. I took a few days off from it and will dive in tomorrow and see what I do. :)

Dina

GrannieAnnie 04-13-2014 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6668846)
I have 1/2 of this Bargello quilt done, not following a pattern. I am trying to decide how I continue this design. I really like what I have ...you will have to turn your head to look at the design, as I had to take the picture sideways to get it all...but time to figure out where I go next.

I will get out my graph paper and colored pencils next, but which how would you continue the design? If I "go up" to match what I have, it may just look like a big W. Of course, that might be okay...

Any suggestions are welcome!! Thanks.

Dina

as the picture shows----make the top strip you center, then repeat line 2, 3 ,4 above what is showing as the top