Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Where is the most economical place to buy thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-most-economical-place-buy-thread-t303237.html)

RedGarnet222 03-02-2019 01:07 PM

Another Connecting Threads user here. I go though spools and spools a year on charity donations, so it has to be economical and a good quality.
Just picked up ten new spools this week on sale, some nice white fabric for piecing and I bought the green fabrics I needed for a golf wall hanging for hubby. Amy Bradley's Golf, Eat, Sleep. So dang cute!

RedGarnet222 03-02-2019 01:11 PM

Oh, guess what? Hubby bought me a dozen threads for valentine's day at walmart. (I got flowers too, but I like the thread best.)

mjpEncinitas 03-03-2019 06:38 AM

I use mostly superior sofine 50 and auriful 50 in most of my bobbins and on top when piecing. I buysuperiot in cones. So it’s cheaper in the long run. I use superior magnifico on top for quilting. I have used a YLI variegated. It’s beautiful but linty. Always one of the 50 weight in the bobbin

mjpEncinitas 03-03-2019 06:39 AM

I use mostly superior sofine 50 and auriful 50 in most of my bobbins and on top when piecing. I buysuperiot in cones. So it’s cheaper in the long run. I use superior magnifico on top for quilting. I have used a YLI variegated. It’s beautiful but linty. Always one of the 50 weight in the bobbin. Superior has sales and then I stock up

Jakers1 03-03-2019 06:57 AM

I use Superior thread, as I used others and found they were either too linty or not strong enough. I usually use a cream, but when I sew on black, I use either brown or navy, that way I can see the stitches if I need to take them out.

Trixie77484 03-04-2019 11:59 AM

I have a wide variety of threads in all different colors. My fav is Superior and then Connecting threads. I've got pretty much all my Superior threads from Amazon, I put them in my "save for later" and watch to see if the price goes down to what I will pay and then I buy. I have about 3 rolls of thread from MSQC and don't like it, seems cheap and breaks easier than any other thread brands I have. I have never found 1 place to buy my threads from. Just shop around and if someone is having a sale I might buy something in a color I like or don't have. I have found thread at estate sales before also. Got a good bit from Hancock Fabric when they closed in my area. I'm sure it would be easy to price shop thread if I only used a few colors like some posters here.

laurac 03-14-2019 02:25 PM

What thread do you use for hand quilting?

grammyjo 03-14-2019 05:37 PM

I like Guterman's or YLI, 100% cotton

feline fanatic 03-15-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by laurac (Post 8225432)
What thread do you use for hand quilting?

I love Valdani thread for hand quilting in the 35 wt. Valdani also makes some beautiful perl cottons for hand embroidery too.